Bearings

ssray

Morning, I was looking at the other thread about bearings and had a look at simplybearings, they list various tolerence from standard to c5(?) they also say that some bearings are not sutable for some uses.

so if i wanted to replace my wheel bearings how would i work out which are tighter or zero tolerence?

Ta from a tired ssray at the end of a long night shift, so i wont log on till tonight.

night night

Ray

they run hotter the finer the tolerence and it is the abec standered you are on about,the higher the accuracy i think they go to abec 7 but i use to deal with these years ago....and they go in to bloody big price the better the spec but of no use in a bike....as said they are that tight they are often oil cooled....

bit of a read....http://www.google.co...mQIwapA6iFwZgkQ

i know is skat board but you get the picture

Im not sure theyre no good in bike applications.

BST offer either standard steel bearings or cermaic bearings with their wheels.

There is about 400 quid price difference but the ceramic ones are MUCH lower rolling friction.

The benefit of ceramic bearings, is more from thier lower weight, the balls are usually ceramic coated magnesium. I've never seen a ceramic bearing that had a noticably lower rolling resistance than a well prepared steel bearing.

Lower weight isnt the only advantage from Ceramic bearings. I know of a few machine tool manufacturers recommend/insist using Ceramic bearings when replacing, and lower weight offers no advantage for these.

Archived