clearcoating carbon parts

backys

I'm clearcoating the carbon parts of my Aprilia Factory because they were turning yellow :mad:

The problem that I'm dealing with is that the carbon fiber has very small holes and after 2 hands still the coat pass through.

Is anybody have ever clearcoat carbon without this problem?

Or is trere a ''specia technique'' for carbon fiber????

Yeh i've sprayed carbon, basically it took a lot of thin coats with a fine wet and dry in between, basically patience rewards etc

Do you remember how many coats?

4 or 5 I think, but your askng a man that remember what he had for tea last night

4 or 5 I think, but your askng a man that remember what he had for tea last night

or can't even remember to put the word "can't" in a sentence :lol:

;)

or can't even remember to put the word "can't" in a sentence :dribble:

:D

Bloody hell er erm errr hmmmm mate. you miss nothing

hey up!

If your using a good quality 2k paint and not some crappy arsehole can, (you can buy quality cans at a price!) i strongly advise to keep the % of thinners to a min, apply two coats then allow to dry, 800 tack off then apply two more coats and repeat this process until you acieve your desired finish...everytime you lay a coat of paint down it reactivates the layer below allowing it to soften to the point it soaks in.....! so by leaving it to harden then repaint it reduces the overall amount of paint required to get a mint job.

Yellowing of laquer can be for a couple of reasons, but normally its down to cheap paint, laquer over bare metal or neglect! usually carbon turns yellow because of a lack of gloss hardener during production

hope this helps....

If your parts are turning yellow thats normally from U.V. but if thier genuine parts I would'nt think so as they should be using high quality U.V. resistant epoxy.The pin holes are from tiny air pockets in between the carbon and mould when manufacturing,this is why some people use a clear gelcoat first to prevent this but that adds weight(and is cheating). The only way around it is to get a needle or something similar and dip it into the paint and fill up the holes one by one,it may take a few goes but this is the only way.Once its all dry flat it back with 800 Wet & dry and then spray as usual,its a real ball ache but it will work.

Archived