Can't Get My Bits Off!

dillv8

Help! Can't get generator/flywheel off my 500 Gamma ... Now broken two flywheel pullers,nearly buggered the end of the crank(phew) & also failed with a home made 2 foot slide hammer, currently left it soaking in a releasing oil overnight... Anybody got any magic tips? Please!

Cheers,

Dill

I wondered about applying some heat but was scared I might bugger something up,might have to then as a last resort.... :facepalm:

Cheers,

Dill

If you're usig a proper threaded puller, use as normal tighten as much as you can then hit the end of the puller with a big hammer. It'll just pop off!

Cheers Mark but thats what I've been doing & it won't budge..Its now on its 5th night soaking in some more oil but this time with the puller left in situ applying pressure but I don't think its going to make a difference to be honest,its took some right abuse & its not moved a fraction... Any idea how much a generator costs because I think this ones going to end up dead??

Cheers Dill

Co-incidentally, i made a puller for an aprilia scooter today. M26x1 first time i've done thread cutting on the lathe for a while!

Worked a treat too. This isnt helping you though...

Make sure the centre bolt is pressing square against rhe end of the crank. Lube the centre bolt thread to reduce friction.

Piccies?

If it won't come with Marks way then the only option is heat. Could end up damaging the flywheel though as the glue may melt on the magnets.

If you do damage things drop me an email as I may have spare flywheel and magneto available. stu@jonesracing.co.uk

heat! Aim for just outside of the crank taper and you'll be fine. Done loads this way..

Someone has probably loctited the bugger on..

Never used heat yet on a flywheel. Placing a small piece of aluminium/bronze/brass between the puller centre bolt and the crank allows a mighty hefty smack with a copper hammer, without the fear of mushrooming the end of the crank thread.

this is it.

it is better if you use fine pitch thread on the centre bolt, but i only realised i had a spark plug tap later. then you have to have a fine thread 14mm bolt lying around....

as it happens, one of my other pullers has a 14mm fine pitch thread centre bolt, so i could have used that.

2012-03-11_10-25-10_43_KPT.jpg

Perhaps it is time to retreat, and take it to a pro with correct tools and experience of working on square fours? You've done your best, but you need to do the best by the motor too.

It's a 500 Gamma, not some shitty 125LC.

Help! Can't get generator/flywheel off my 500 Gamma ... Now broken two flywheel pullers,nearly buggered the end of the crank(phew) & also failed with a home made 2 foot slide hammer, currently left it soaking in a releasing oil overnight... Anybody got any magic tips? Please!

Cheers,

Dill

Where r u in the country? I have a genuine Suzuki RG500 flywheel extractor u could borrow, but it weighs a ton so posting is not really an option.

It removes my flywheel with no probs.

Thanks for the offer Bungle but I've tried a slide hammer on it like it shows in the service manual,one that's a damn sight bigger as well but it just won't budge... Going to have to warm it up,think its going to be the only way...

Cheers,

Dill

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a KR1S engine. Pullers had no effect, and eventually the end of the crank taper split.

Had to cut the flywheel front off (so I could remove the generator and split the cases) and then cut up the length of the taper with a slitting disc to remove the rest of the flywheel.

The woodruff key and keyway were found to be heavily damaged, but were able to saved.

Still not got around to removing it yet,going to "arrange" some heat to sort it... Been recently sidetracked slightly by the purchase of a RSV4 , I will get it done though :icon_salut:

Cheers,

Dill

Still not got around to removing it yet,going to "arrange" some heat to sort it... Been recently sidetracked slightly by the purchase of a RSV4 , I will get it done though :icon_salut:

Cheers,

Dill

Nice way to be sidetracked. :biggrinvk4:

An RSV4 might be on my radar this year.

Archived