R1 Camchain Tensioner

Adam

The camchain tensioner failed on the R1 last night.

Does anyone have any experience with manual tensioners or is it prudent to fit a new standard unit?

Cheers

How many miles has your r1 done mate? Mines getting on in years and I've often wondered about the cct, though it makes no noise what so ever.

If I ever come to change mine, I think I'll go with a manual one.

One more thing to keep an eye on and maintain, however you know it'll never fail. Might even have a go at making one.

The camchain tensioner failed on the R1 last night.

Does anyone have any experience with manual tensioners or is it prudent to fit a new standard unit?

Cheers

It's not specifically R1 related, but I had the CCT on my triumph 675 fail while i was riding it (luckily i was on the way to work and taking it easy). I fitted a manual one in it's place and it was dead simple.

The hardest part was initially setting it up, but even that was straightforward and simple if you took your time.

I checked and adjusted it (if needed) every 1000 miles after that.

Is there much of a price difference between the manual one and a new OEM one?

Surely if its lasted 30K miles, another new OEM one will see the bike out for probably the rest of its working life?

Where is the best place to get manual tensioners?

I've tried the usual ebay and google but haven't turned up with much.

Ape do a manual one....

yep... its well made, will fit easy and wont fail like an oem one...... sure these could be made for alot less but then you gotta make it first...

Is there any reason you can't just put a longer piece of metal inside the auto adjuster of the right length to make sure it stays out?

Was looking at a kwaker zx6 one the other day, that has a piece of steel inside the spring to stop the adjuster retracting too far in the event of a failure, was trying to think of reasons why making it longer would be a problem.

I checked and adjusted it (if needed) every 1000 miles after that.

If your cam chain stretches enough to need adjustment in 1K miles, you need to make sure you have oil in your engine, or that it was adjusted correctly in the first place !!!!

They should only need adjusted at oil change intervals, unlike your drive chain, they run in almost ideal conditions, full wet lubrication & continuous oil misting with pulse pressure changes in the crankcase to ensure oil penetration of the chain rollers ! Most camchains will outlive the engine if looked after, but I still prefer gears ! :rolleyes:

was trying to think of reasons why making it longer would be a problem.

How long would you make it & how would you adjust it ? There has to be a means to adjust it & usually only by a small amount.

The original tensioners on most bikes were manual, but due to over zealous apes over tightening them the manufacturers changed to auto types in the hope of out lasting the warranty with NO manual intervention required. It's not hard to make a manual adjuster, especially if you can or set someone else to machine the old auto unit to take a bolt with a seal on it. But that would probably cost you £40, so just as easy to buy an APE one !

Archived