Front Suspension

buster

I've got a GSF1250SA, had it since September last year and as well as having crap tyres on it at the moment which aren't helping the handling I'm also disappointed with the steering, at times I feel I'm the captain of the Exxon Valdez. Suspension feels ok, I'm happy with the front and rear bouncy its, not too stiff or soft, however, it feels like the steering is happening from the back, too much rear weight bias I reckon, so today I thought I'd have a go at a remedy. I've dropped the forks 5mm thought the yokes and will test ride it tomorrow.

Question is without going daft, how far would you drop the forks? 7.5mm, 10mm?

At the moment I don't want to go down the route of jacking the back end up, if necessary I will but I'd rather work with what I've got, so any other suggestions?

Ta muchly

Don't you mean dropping the yokes over the forks, or raising the forks in the yokes? Dropping the forks through the yokes will slow down the steering.

personally, I wouldn't go any further than this:

forkinyolk.jpg

anymore than that and you risk making the steering unstable, and also puncturing the yolk

what? it's not that type of yolk? sorry

Bit of Yorkshire coming out I think, by dropping the forks through the yokes, I mean having the fork sliders protruding more above the top yoke.

Cheers Monkey, I'd forgotten my yolk from yoke identification problem

Ah right. I've altered the Ducati quite a bit, but in the reverse direction since I felt it was too savage into corners. Try 5mm.

Bit of Yorkshire coming out I think, by dropping the forks through the yokes, I mean having the fork sliders protruding more above the top yoke.

Cheers Monkey, I'd forgotten my yolk from yoke identification problem

'dropping the forks through the yokes' is a funny expression, because actually what you are doing is the opposite.

but it seems to be common parlance, doesn't it?

anyway, I think on the R1 I ended up with about 5-6mm compared to standard

If you're going for less crap tyres, you may find that the pointier profile of a new and sportier tyre helps things too.

Archived