Educate Me About Soldering Irons . . .

V6Jon

Was feeling extra brave this evening so have just been out in the man cave to tackle the wiring on the SRAD !

The problem was one indicator not working due to the number of crap crimp on connectors, so I cut them all out, stripped 10mm off the end of the wires and applied the multimeter to find decent voltage across everything :) even connected a spare indicator across the wires to get pretty flashy lights !

Next up I grabbed some spare cable, heat shrink and the soldering iron to splice in new wire properly, and that is where the problem started, as it turns out the cheap shitty soldering iron doesnt get hot enought to melt the solder !

So tomorrow I shall go forth and replace it, but is there anything I should be looking for ? Such as a temp or power rating ?

Cheers

Jon

Sometimes it helps to file the tip of the solidering iron a little to remove the layer of oxide that form if the Irons been left unused for a while

To be honest it was a cheap draper one I paid about £5 for, used it once about 18 months back, and it's been stuck in a drawer since !

I think it's either bust, or it just doesn't have the power in it to heat up wires or itself from 5 degrees !

I love the freedom of my gas iron, runs on lighter fluid, very nice instant heat, there is a vent hole in the side of the tip which is perfect for heatshrink as well. The best thing awkward places not a problem no wires.

Mine is a snap on one, but it's donkeys years old, but still going strong. There are other makes out there, they are alot more common than when I got mine.

Must admit I agree. I had a cheap electric one that wouldn't melt solder so splashed out on a gas one from Maplins. The basic gas iron is about £15 but if you buy the kit they do you also get a hot knife which is useful for repairing cracked fairings and a heat nozzle for heatshrink etc. You also get some solder . All in about £40.

There is a definate knack to soldering though, Mine is still a bit "blobby"

Clean the tip as Superduperdunc says..

Soldering irons normally go by Watts.. the hight the watt the hotter it will get.. Common sense really.You know to tin the wires first (or thats what i do)

And when heatshrinking use the shaft (fnarr) rather than the tip (lol) to make it shrink.Easier and less hassle imo.

Only get a gas one if it's a good 'un and plenty powerful, otherwise you'll struggle. If you're outdoors, shield your work from the wind as much as anything.

A 40w mains is plenty. Maplins will do weller ones, which are pretty much the benchmark in irons, they are to soldering what hoover is to cleaning carpet. They're not the rolls royce, but they don't do a bad iron, you certainly be getting something that'll work. Spend a bit on getting a nice iron holder and a solder sucker too while you're at it, the sucker is invaluable, the holder stops you dropping it then instinctively grabbing it...

http://www.wassco.co...-8007-0532.aspx

I've got this bad boy. Used the drapers and crap before this, never again, wobbly tips, random temperatures, not much cop.

I've also got a gas one, tends to be a bit overkill for smaller wires, and of no use on pcb's, but ok for a bit use on heavier guage cables etc. As has been said, tis good for the heatshrinking too.

The pace I've got can do all sorts of everything though, shouldn't ever need anything else.

Ive got a couple of cheap and nasty soldering irons, cant say ive ever had any problems with them tho in saying that I have noticed that thicker wires take a bit longer to heat up than thin ones, I get around that by tinning up the ends of the wires and heat them together without twisting and then heat shrink over the top of them.

I think I also have a gas iron in the shed somewhere, bought it from aldi's but up till now ive never used it.

BTW, why do the Yanks call it Soddering?.

Thanks for the tips guys, nipped into the local auto elec place this morning to find a mate working in there.

He found me a decent iron which is switchable between 40 and 80 watts, dug out about about five meters of wire in three different colours, then let me have the iron trade and the wire gratis :thumbsup:

So this weekend I shall drag myself out and try to get it all fitted up neatly, before and after pictures in the project thread soon, those of an nervous dispostion may wish to avoid the before pictures !!

Jon

Archived