500 or 1000cc 2-stroke V twin daydream.

garage19

Was chatting with a mate the other day and both thought it would be great to build a 2 stroke 500 or 1000 cc V twin engine.

The idea would be to use a pair of existing top ends (heads, barrels, pistons and maybe rods) from a CR250 or 500 mated to custom crankcases with a custom crank.

You could use the gearset/ primary drive and clutch from another motorbike eg R6.

For one or two engines it would probably be best to get the crankcases machined from billet rather than cast and then machined.

Only thing we weren’t sure on is the firing order. As far as we figured both cylinders would have to fire at the same time due to the crankcase charge. Is this how the Honda GP500 twins were? I suppose this looses the natural balancing of a 90 degree twin?

Any thoughts?

Only thing we weren’t sure on is the firing order. As far as we figured both cylinders would have to fire at the same time due to the crankcase charge. Is this how the Honda GP500 twins were? I suppose this looses the natural balancing of a 90 degree twin?

Each cylinder's portion of the crank is sealed off from the others' in two stroke multis using a single crank as, other wise, you'd have no guarantee of an even mixture ever getting to each cylinder.

I shall find some images to show what I mean....

Dave

Was chatting with a mate the other day and both thought it would be great to build a 2 stroke 500 or 1000 cc V twin engine.

The idea would be to use a pair of existing top ends (heads, barrels, pistons and maybe rods) from a CR250 or 500 mated to custom crankcases with a custom crank.

You could use the gearset/ primary drive and clutch from another motorbike eg R6.

For one or two engines it would probably be best to get the crankcases machined from billet rather than cast and then machined.

Any thoughts?

You can get custom made crankcases to take 2 CR500 barrels and have yourself the king of paralell twin strokers.

A crazy frenchman named Seb is building one to go into a 996 frame.

Fucking legend :icon_bounce:

We figured that's what would be needed but couldn't figure how it was done. Pics would be great thanks.

i'll have a butchers when I get a chance man, google is your friend!!

NS400 lower crank case, with crank in situ - note large bearings inbetween each conrod/crankweight assembly...:

nscrank1cf9.jpg

NS upper crankcase, showing where those big bearings/seal sit, thus keeping each cylinder separately sealed from the others:

nscrank2ei2.jpg

This should help with getting your head(s) round the idea of sealing each cylinder off separately so you can have *any* firing order you want.

It's worth noting the positioning of the 3 NS conrods, remembering that is a 90-degree V3.

Dave

When is someone going to get a pair of RGV250 engines in the same crankcases?

And can I have one when they've done it please?

As mentioned a while back, I proposed it as a project to PB a few years back (but with RS250s taken out to 300cc as (1) RS250s carried on longer and so newer ones could be sourced and (2) 2 x 300cc could be a softer state of tune for good power..). Not same cases, but two motors mated togethr through one clutch and gearbox - if that mentalist bloke can make 8-cylinder KHs (and. of course, PB featured an RD750 made from two 350LCs back in the day) then you can do it with two V2s....

I offered to pay for it all if they found someone who'd do it....

Didn't even get a reply... :eusa_think:

Dave

has anyone on here got one of those engines?

One of what engines - a fair few have been mentioned here... You might want to quote posts when replying to keep context.

Oh, welcome to :eusa_whistle: !

Dave

When is someone going to get a pair of RGV250 engines in the same crankcases?

And can I have one when they've done it please?

crank cases are done barrles are being bored to 150cc a piece , cougar heads and powervalves hoping for 140bhp at the wheel .................... we will see

You need to check out Alan Millyards creations. Google him.

His builds have been in Classic & Motorcycle Mech's in the past.

Any one fancy a 2.6 litre V12 Z1300???

Also does wierd stuff to Kwak 2-squeeks.

crank cases are done barrles are being bored to 150cc a piece , cougar heads and powervalves hoping for 140bhp at the wheel .................... we will see

Is this the new super-duper secret project????

I hope someone from the mag is reading this! We need details and pictures and more pictures and more details and I want a go and I want it all *NOW*!!!!

Dave

Maybe someone should take a look at snowmobile engine, 700cc twin two stroke, only thing is sourcing a gearbox for it and it runs direct drive.

A crazy frenchman named Seb is building one to go into a 996 frame.

Fucking legend :(

Is that the Seb who used to build big-bore RD sleepers and scare R1 owners on track days ?

Blokes a nutter !

Is that the Seb who used to build big-bore RD sleepers and scare R1 owners on track days ?

Blokes a nutter !

Sounds like something he'd do alright, he has tuned RD engines in everything!

Maybe someone should take a look at snowmobile engine, 700cc twin two stroke, only thing is sourcing a gearbox for it and it runs direct drive.

That's another thought , Yamaha make/made a wetbike with a 1000cc stroker triple , just weld it to an R1 gearbox and Roberts yer mothers brother ..

I so need pictures of those crank cases. Engineering like that gets me going!

That's another thought , Yamaha make/made a wetbike with a 1000cc stroker triple , just weld it to an R1 gearbox and Roberts yer mothers brother ..

Actually they went up to 1300cc triples, with servo ypvs! If your gonna go, go big. i'd bolt two of em together connected with a gear drive. With pipes it wouldn't fit in a bike....but it would fit in a small car! rated from the factory at 160hp, a tuned pair with proper pipes would probably reach +400hp. :icon_blackeye:

Archived