Removing Two-Pack Paint

peter187

What it says in the topic really. Due to some unforeseen circumstances my trip to Canada has folded so I now have some time on my hands and I've decided to do-up my old RS250 'priller. It has a ghastly paintjob that I want to get rid of. Are there any tricks to remove it from plastic fairings or am I just going to be doing a lot of sanding?

Thanks.

Sorry to disagree with you sie but please dont use paint stripper on plastic, some plastic will take a mild stripper and some will just melt or crack so be careful ,is it nessersery to remove the paint from plastic, if it is sound and stuck well just paint over it ,if it is flaking off try to get as much as you can off with a air blow gun held very close to the edge where it is flaking this should take some of it off, then take as much off with a modeling blade, carful not to dig into the plastic them with a red scotch pad dipped in gunwash scrub the rest off, try to paint over it if you can then it it will save money on a plastic primer.

The paint has to be removed yeah. It has a lot of vinyl under clearcoat so it's all lumpy and bumpy. I was planning to spray it with an acrylic lacquer too. It's what I've used on my racebikes and I know I can do a good job with it that can easily be touched up. I don't want to lacquer to react with any two-pack on the plastic so it's all gotta come off.

A brand would be good Sie, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived