Mg Competition Brake Pads?

SAB

Can anyone help identify the manufacturer of these pads? They're out of an MG Competition endurance rear caliper. MG is impossible to get a hold of on this side of the puddle though.

Other manufacturers are fine too. I just need to source some replacements.

Thanks!

DSC07921%20(Medium).JPG

DSC07920%20(Medium).JPG

DSC07924%20(Medium).JPG

DSC07923%20(Medium).JPG

• 1 month later...

So I've had zero luck trying to source these pads.

Does anyone have any way of contacting MG Competition? Or any other ideas to sort this out?

DSC08021.JPG

DSC08015.JPG

DSC08017.JPG

DSC08014.JPG

This solution is not for the faint-hearted. If it is for a rear caliper I would have no qualms, if it is for the front then you need to track down someone who knows their onions to get it done. You have been warned.

You can have your existing pads relined. This is common in the HGV world I believe, I have also done it myself on trials bikes and it worked OK.

Turn on all your charm and start ringing or visiting your local Ferodo place.

http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/brake-reline-centres.aspx

Obviously there are myriad issues surrounding this. Is the compound of the friction material suitable for a high performance bike as opposed to a 20 ton HGV? The answer probably lies in a casualty ward. The other option is to get a pad which is too large and machine it down to suit. Nuns and kittens will be killed in droves.

Or maybe the easiest solution is to change calipers?

Right, time to stop being precious about this, maybe. If it was me I'd get a bigger pad and carve it up with an angle grinder. Machining not an option 'cause the sinthered material will just knacker machine tools. Now you've got to remember that in the Endurance paddock everyone is chamfering pads radically anyway, just to give the discs a chance during wheel changes. The heat from grinding has no noticeable effect on the sinthered naterial, no worries. In fact I've completed 24Hr races on pads that have had one type of pin arrangement holes hacked off and the OEM pin holes welded onto the backing plate of a rivals pads and that was on the front. These particular pads needed a little reshapping to fit the calipers to a loose sliding fit 'cause controling the welded section tolerance wasn't exactly micromillimetric. :biggrinvk4:

Now MG Competition and Endurance sounds like Yamaha to me, this points to GMT94, certainly not us. GMT will have a web page at least, probably a Facebook page and Twitter acount. Send the photos to Christophe Guyot (team principal) he speaks English and plays a mean Les Paul. :rock:

Knowing MG Comp, I'll bet that this is another of their re-branding money levering tricks. GB Moto engine covers at twice the price from MG anybody. My guess is that the've got some monkey to copy a Brembo, they certainly aren't in the position to commission one off pads. Bet you Brembos fit. :icon_salut:

Sound advice Mark! Thanks for that. I looked up GMT and you're spot on...same rear caliper! I've shot an email off to GMT. I'll a look through the brembo offerings as well. Huge thanks for the tip!

2005_essais_24h_16.JPG

2005_bol_02.JPG

sab, when i was looking for pinless pads for my moto-gp calipers, i shot an email off to jeff at braketech. he sourced ferodo pads for them for me.

worth a shot sending him the pics and measurements.

done. any word yet?

Jeff had a few ideas, but none of his suggestions were close to the correct sizing. Ferodo's catalog is massive though, so I'm going through pad by pad to see if I can find something.

So a bit of light...maybe. After endless searching and emails it appears that maybe this is a Nissin caliper. Some further digging reveals that Nissin has a race range of pads with an "RS1" rating just like on the back of the pads that I have.

Now an email off to Nissin....

n_14b.jpg

So the latest (not that anyone cares haha)...

The kind folks at EBC have helped with these...which are brutally close to what I need size-wise. A quick trim should od the job until I hear back from Nissin :)

ebc-front-brake-pads-fa180hh-rgv250t-rgv-250-t-93--14080-p.jpg

fa180hh-380-380.jpg

have you heard back from nissin? it does look like a nissin caliper.

it's definitaly not brembo.

if worst comes to worst, put it back together, sell it and buy a brembo.

have you heard back from nissin? it does look like a nissin caliper.

it's definitaly not brembo.

if worst comes to worst, put it back together, sell it and buy a brembo.

No word back yet Greg. The more I look at the pads that came with it, the more I think even they were trimmed though. They are flush on each end and most pads have some space between the backing plate and the friction material.

As for selling it...never. It weighs less than a piece of toast!

Looks like it's on a BMW too (taken from the endurance thread)

18-Team-SAPEURS-POMPIERS-S-1000-RR-2012-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update. The EBC pads fit nicely after taking a lick off of each end, machining down the ti flange nuts, and boring out the retaining pin hole a bit. The rotor sits dead center with no drag.

The one issue I see as it sits now is that the rotor doesn't reach the end of the pads at the bottom end of the caliper. It's pretty close, but this will eventually wear a groove in the pads right? Is that OK to run or should the pad material be trimmed down so that it sits flush with the end of the rotor?

DSC08169%20(Large).JPG

DSC08175%20(Large).JPG

DSC08176%20(Large).JPG

DSC08178%20(Large).JPG

DSC08180%20(Large).JPG

what rotor are you using?

It's a Braking wavy rotor. Same diameter and width as stock.

Here are some better pictures. The last 2 are taken as if you were under the bike looking up at the bottom of the caliper.

DSC08182%20(Large).JPG

DSC08187%20(Large).JPG

DSC08188%20(Large).JPG

I bloody said about grinding down a 'larger' pad ages ago didn't I?!

The rotor not reaching all areas of the pad won't be a problem at all, just keep an eye on it. My rear BRembo and Braking wave disc, plus the bracket I/Paul had to make for the swingarm and the actual caliper just make it impossible for full sweep. I use my rear brake a lot, and I mean a lot, and you can just about see where the rotor is sweeping after a good few thousand miles of use. Not a problem whatsoever.

Besides, you know you'll never actually ride that thing... ;oP

Oh for anyone else wondering about the caliper, it's the lightest rear caliper I've ever felt besides the ridiculously small units that don't actually provide any braking force, just a scrutineer pleaser. If I owned it, there's not a way in the world I'd get rid of it.

Now I can finally get some rest at night. Thanks as usual Mark. Sometimes I really wish that I lived along your commute into work so that you could throw a brick through my window for every day that I don't work on the thing.

ahh, why didn't you say you had a wave rotor and use those pics.

i now agree with mark, it will be fine like it is now!

i was only a bit concearned before as the pics weren't clear and the rotor was hard to tell what/where it was in the caliper.

nice job. it looks fab.

Archived