Opinions Please

Hendo

My R1 seems to have developed a very slight backfire when ticking over. I havnt been out on it yet to see weather it does it when riding (needs MOT and tax)

Here is a video of it doing it, you can faintly hear it at 8, 10, 13, 15 and the loudest one at 18 seconds. -

th_006.jpg

It is a lot louder in person than it seems on the video, and the popping sounds like its from deep within the exhaust system if that makes sense.

Points to note -

I removed the AIS system last year with a blanking kit from the USA, related? It never did this before I removed the AIS.

It still does it with the standard can on.

I put new, correctly gapped spark plugs in, but it hasn't sorted it.

I had the exhaust system off when removing the AIS, should I have used new exhaust gaskets?

It doesnt do it from cold, it starts after around 2 or 3 mins of warming up on tickover.

Im thinking its an airleak, any opinions appreciated.

Could be on the right track with the air leak.As you have had the system off the bike you might have given it an air leak in the system.

use new gaskets on the exhaust and tighten them to spec.Also make sure the whole system has no leaks (everything tight and secure)

i would start with that before looking at anything else like carbs. :thumbsup:

sell it and buy a zx7r :eusa_whistle:

Has it developed slowly or just started? Have you made any other changes or done anything radical like jetwash it? Have you put any fuel additives in or is it old fuel? Have you had a look at the plugs or the O2 sensors? If you find out can you let me know?! (mine is popping and bubbling like a bong at the mo, the only thing I've discovered while stripping it is a scarily dirty air-filter but I haven't had chance to run it again now it's clean)

Mate, take it round the block for a good spank. I've no idea why it does it, but mine does the same if its been laid up for a few weeks. A quick ride and it buggers off, I'd actually put it down to buggered plugs, still ain't changed em lol.

There you go^^

The blanking plates are probably leaking some air in when the engine warms a bit. Are you sure that they are seated correctly and the seals are OK?

and also, this:

I had the exhaust system off when removing the AIS, should I have used new exhaust gaskets?

yes, yes you should have.

my money's on an air leak getting in somewhere either via the AIS blanking or an exhaust gasket.

edited to add: I have a set of four brand new OE yamaha ones left over from my R1.

they are £5.53!! [incld vat] each from Yamaha [fuck me sideways]

PM me if you want 'em for less, they were about to go on ebay

and also, this:

my money's on an air leak getting in somewhere either via the AIS blanking or an exhaust gasket.

edited to add: I have a set of four brand new OE yamaha ones left over from my R1.

If the OP doesn't want them, please give me a shout.

Mate, take it round the block for a good spank. I've no idea why it does it, but mine does the same if its been laid up for a few weeks. A quick ride and it buggers off, I'd actually put it down to buggered plugs, still ain't changed em lol.

The plugs have been changed. This was actually one of the first things I was going to do, give it a good kicking. Ive just insured them, but it needs MOT and Tax. And some warm weather :( . Its been laid up for around 6 months...

There you go^^

The blanking plates are probably leaking some air in when the engine warms a bit. Are you sure that they are seated correctly and the seals are OK?

As far as I can tell they are ok. I will change the exhaust gaskets first to rule them out.

and also, this:

I ordered new ones yesterday from Webbs :eusa_wall: , so Phil Norton is more than welcome to them. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys, will report back at some point.

I ordered new ones yesterday from Webbs :eusa_wall: , so Phil Norton is more than welcome to them. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys, will report back at some point.

no problem fella.

hopefully replacing the gaskets will cure it. A mate of mine fitted a full system to his 5JJ and experienced the exact same 'popping'. He hadn't bothered to change the gaskets, but when he did so it disappeared.

I can't really offer any advice on the AIS though, I don't know what he did with his and it wasn't present on my 4xv.

I bought the gaskets in case I needed to remove the akra when I was selling the bike.

But didn't in the end. so, Phil, you have PM, Sir

Gave the bike a thorough going over today, especially the AIS. Its definitely all sealed up tight.

Changed the exhaust gaskets for new OEM ones, everything torqued up to the spec in the workshop manual. Cleaned all the ports up etc before re-fitting.

Fresh fuel put in and ran up till the fan cut in twice.

Still doing it, exactly the same.

So I'll wait for some better weather, and then give it a good run out and a thorough kicking, hopefully clear it up.

Update.

Covered around 50 very cold miles today, and gave the bike some proper stick on the straights (private road obv :ph34r: ), with some of BP's finest in the tank.

The popping has now reduced to almost nothing. Hopefully it will dissapear to nothing once I start properly using it.

Cheers for the advice.

Update.

Covered around 50 very cold miles today, and gave the bike some proper stick on the straights (private road obv :ph34r: ), with some of BP's finest in the tank.

The popping has now reduced to almost nothing. Hopefully it will dissapear to nothing once I start properly using it.

Cheers for the advice.

Can I say told ya? lol, glad its got better dude.

You certainly can :icon_salut::thumbsup:

Im assuming it must just be down to slightly gummed up carbs?

Must be mate, like I say I thought it was plugs as mine are older than an old thing but as you changed yours, gotta be crabs!

Archived