Weeping R/h Brake Bleed Nipple - Blue Spots

wombat

Says it all really.

Got it back from major service last week - only noticed this arvo about 5 mins before the shop shut (of course they wouldn't answer the phone)

Bleeding the brakes - fresh fluid was part of the service.

Will limp it to work on Monday and drop by the shop on the way home.

Nipple is done up tight, but seeps past the threads when you apply pressure

Always happens near or on the weekends -new nipple the answer? or teflon thread?

Bob

Says it all really.

Got it back from major service last week - only noticed this arvo about 5 mins before the shop shut (of course they wouldn't answer the phone)

Will limp it to work on Monday and drop by the shop on the way home.

Always happens near or on the weekends -new nipple the answer? or teflon thread?

Bob

Go to your dealer and get a new one, fit it and you'll be fine.

Take it back to them and get them to sort it out mate.Why should you pay if they have damaged it.

This^. But some PTFE tape round the threads will do the trick.

This^. But some PTFE tape round the threads will do the trick.

Tis' a bodge at best, the tapered seat should seal the nipple (guffaw).

If the fluid is leaking past the threads the seat is damaged or there's some shit stopping it seating properly.

Tis' a bodge at best, the tapered seat should seal the nipple (guffaw).

If the fluid is leaking past the threads the seat is damaged or there's some shit stopping it seating properly.

This is quite a common problem, especially with the Tokico's like the one's you have. It's the seat in the actual caliper body that is likely to be damaged from overtightnening the nipple.

Sadly I doubt a new nipple will sort it and I really wouldn't trust PTFE tape to be a long lasting solution on something as critical as brakes.

Sorry.

From the looks, it looks like it's a brand new nipple anyway, much shinier and new than the L/h side one.

I'm gonna ask them why is that?

Bob

BTW I thought Blue Spots and original TRX ones were Sumitomo?

From the looks, it looks like it's a brand new nipple anyway, much shinier and new than the L/h side one.

Bob

BTW I thought Blue Spots and original TRX ones were Sumitomo?

Sorry, you're right, Sumitomo.

I've got Tokico's on the brain at work...

Bob

And there you go.. They have put on a new bleed nipple,so they are the ones that have damaged the thread.So take it back and get THEM to repair it.

Sticking PTFE tape over it will not fix the fault in the long term.And i would not like to rely on that for my front brakes,rear maybe but not the front's.

Get it back to them and get it fixed.

They can either tap it out to a bigger thread size or put an insert into it.(Much better than tape imo)

:thumbsup:

And there you go.. They have put on a new bleed nipple,so they are the ones that have damaged the thread.So take it back and get THEM to repair it.

Sticking PTFE tape over it will not fix the fault in the long term.And i would not like to rely on that for my front brakes,rear maybe but not the front's.

Get it back to them and get it fixed.

They can either tap it out to a bigger thread size or put an insert into it.(Much better than tape imo)

:thumbsup:

Tapping it out or a larger thread size won't help the seat in the caliper unless they can repair that though.

It's cheaper and likely quicker for them to get another caliper from Fleabay etc. and refresh that.

Tapping it out or a larger thread size won't help the seat in the caliper unless they can repair that though.

It's cheaper and likely quicker for them to get another caliper from Fleabay etc. and refresh that.

You can machine & tap in a new larger thread or add a helicoil type thing (expensive & time consuming).

I would say that the original thread's has been over tightened and pulled the threads,this is why it leaks past under pressure.But either way THEY should fix it IMO. :thumbsup:

You can machine & tap in a new larger thread or add a helicoil type thing (expensive & time consuming).

I would say that the original thread's has been over tightened and pulled the threads,this is why it leaks past under pressure.But either way THEY should fix it IMO. :thumbsup:

The threads do not seal the bleed nipple, and the op says the nipple is tight. There is a tappered seat at the bottom of the thread, this is the part that is damaged or dirty if a bleed nipple is leaking.

I have repaired the seats on alloy calipers before, and you can do it with basic tools if your compitent.

The threads do not seal the bleed nipple, and the op says the nipple is tight. There is a tappered seat at the bottom of the thread, this is the part that is damaged or dirty if a bleed nipple is leaking.

I have repaired the seats on alloy calipers before, and you can do it with basic tools if your compitent.

Excatly this the threads...

I've only ever repaired one seat on a crappy rear caliper for a race bike that was rarely used but it did work. I'd rather replace the caliper if they're cheap enough to buy second hand personally, but I see no problem with a repair.

Archived