Lightening Holes?

rsv chris

I'm thinking of shortening my a zx10r rear subframe for my zx10r. And then adding some more lightness by drilling lightening holes in the rest of the subframe.

My logic being it's designed to take 2 x 100 kg people so my 80 kg frame all suited up should not overstress a drilled subframe.

Is there anywhere I can find info on how much strenghth a lightening hole removes from material in general. Also does anyone know about this and could either tell me not to do it. Or drill for example 4mm holes spaced 1'' apart top to bottom.

Anyone?

Step away from the drill...

The amount of weight you will save vs. the risk of creating stress risers and inducing failure, particularly if you cannot get access to both faces of the hole to deburr it following drilling, means it just isn't worth it.

Thankyou, it's what I was worried about. Makes sense, all the lightening holes i have seen have nicely finished edges, and on aircraft all the edges are neatly formed and bent over a little.

Pfft! Self-supporting CF seat unit! :)

You rang?!

Get spanking Rompy, I've whittled my nudger down to the size and shape of a little twisty dog-chew with this...

DSC_6331.jpg

Have a good shit everytime before you ride the bike, you will save just as much weight as drilling the subframe! :eusa_whistle:

Does a good shit weigh more than a bad shit and how did you get them on the scales to find out?.

Have a good shit everytime before you ride the bike, you will save just as much weight as drilling the subframe! :eusa_whistle:

What about at a trackday, do you need to shit before each session? I'm gonna need some bran flakes...

oh and no don't do it!

If kawasaki could have made the main frame lighter enough to make performance gains by rattling a few holes in it without significantly reducing its effectiveness i reckon they probably would have already done it.

Also i like the idea of a pre thrash poo . . . Hopefully that way if you crashed and died at least you wouldn't have anything left for when the muscles all relax afterwards. That way when the paramedics turn up they'd be all like, "wow, look how far this dude got into that tree . . . and he didn't even shit himself. Must have been hard as fook him" . . .

. . . possibly

Could you stick assorted black circles on the bike to simulate holes? The placebo effect combined with the pre-ride poo would work wonders.

(Why have I got a distant memory of portable holes on telly? Was it Python or the Goodies?)

Did better than lightening holes just hacksawed the whole rear subframe off. The track fairing tail unit will still fit. And for all the sceptics I have saved 1.6kg just from removing the rear subframe and exhaust valve actuator. Factoring in headlamp removal, plus lithium battery. I am well on course for 190kgs wet. :pb2:

Could you stick assorted black circles on the bike to simulate holes? The placebo effect combined with the pre-ride poo would work wonders.

(Why have I got a distant memory of portable holes on telly? Was it Python or the Goodies?)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Archived