engine block cleaning/spraying? how can i get like new again?

addiction269

ive got an old engine i wanted cleaning up so it looks like new is this possible? it has mild corrosion for a nearly 20 year old engine its not bad but im doing a restoration and want it looking good. i remember seeing in mcn someone had all theres sprayed up but wouldnt know if i can do this or where to start cheers

ive got an old engine i wanted cleaning up so it looks like new is this possible? it has mild corrosion for a nearly 20 year old engine its not bad but im doing a restoration and want it looking good. i remember seeing in mcn someone had all theres sprayed up but wouldnt know if i can do this or where to start cheers

Are you stripping the motor down or just giving it a cosmetic make over?

Hi my motor was pretty cruddy when I started so got to work with scotch brite pads and white spirit and cleaned it up then hit it with a few coats of PJ1.

Came out pretty well I think.

PICT3639.jpg

You're fucking kidding that looks better than when it was first made!

Can you describe the process please? I need some of that!

There's a few pages in classic bike this month about what various readers have done in their restorations.

On the subject of tidying up engines the PJ1 coating was mentioned as a good choice.

Another guy reckoned a Sperex satin black coating was the best he'd come across. A tough, polyurethane based anti chip type that stood up to stone chips on fork legs etc.

At the end of the day it's the prep work that makes or breaks something like this.

Get ready to roll your sleeves up or fork out for someone else to do it I suppose.

JB

You're fucking kidding that looks better than when it was first made!

Can you describe the process please? I need some of that!

Considering the engine was 27 years old when I got it wasn't in too bad nick, however as you would expect the front had been well blasted by grit and dirt so some corrosion had set in.

While it was all in one piece I gave it a real good clean with gunk and got all the oily shit off, after that it looked ten times worse!! so I started striping it down although I didn't split the cases. Small parts were despatched for blasting and I had a second gas flowed head that I wanted to use, this along with the bottom end were cleaned up using scotchbrite pads and white spirt, it was a pain in the arse and probably took the best part of a day. I finished it of with alcohol wipes to get any oil residue off then masked it up, warmed it with a heat gun and painted it in sections giving it thin even coats.

The smaller parts went in the oven and were painted in the same way then put back in the oven to cure.

I'm well pleased with the end result

DSC_0006.jpg

Could also look into getting it vapour blasted(havent experienced any for myself though)-but i agree-that there number 9's engine looks supreme!!!

I have used vapour blasting, and it is fucking brill.

don't mean to hijack your thread, but here is a link to my thread with some photos of results.

if you need any more info, you can PM me

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=939

When you start the engine for the first time don't let it run for very long. Build it up, so the paint cures on the engine, you only need to do it once.

Archived