ZX10R forks on ZX7R

eastendpete

OK.....ive done a bit of research but im after some uk based info if anyone has any......basically im looking at either using a 6r or 10r front end on the 7r, if anyones done it or knows of detailed info on this conversion, can you let me know, cheers, itll be interesting to work out a rough price and hassle rating.....

Hi, put this front end on my zxr 750 K1, but then changed my mind and swapped it back!

I had forks, yokes calipers front wheel spindle, and mudguard. I pushed out the stem from radial front end (bottom yoke), the stem is too long on the radial yoke, and the dia of the zxr stem was different to the radial stem and yoke. Machined a new one to fit the radial bottom yoke, but with the zxr length(s). Assembled the yoke back together and bolted yokes and forks back in the bike. Think wheel bearings are different size, can't remember, I used dymags, so I had to put a digital pushbike speedo on anyway. Then I just made spacer to suit and to line wheel/discs with front end.

When you look for a front end, the early radial 6 front ends use 280mm discs, whereas later ones use 310mm dia (i think) and 10's are 320mm? (I think) You can buy spacer kits to fit larger dia discs to the early 6 front ends, but when I looked you couldn't get spacers to fit 320 dia discs to the early 6 (280 dia) discs...so I made my own.

Look on redmonkey site, there is info on there to fit zx14 front onto zxr 750/7r

Hope this is of some help, if you need any more help,just pm me and i'll try my best to help!!!!!!

Paul

ps sold the yokes, forks are on another project

pps you need to cut down the ignition switch mounting pillars, they are too long for the zxr ignition barrel

why on earth would you want to do that ?????

the front end of the 7r is the best bit about them

i know, just enquiring......my forks arent in the best condition, and my brakes are crap. 2 birds one stone.

Hi, put this front end on my zxr 750 K1, but then changed my mind and swapped it back!

snip....

Hope this is of some help, if you need any more help,just pm me and i'll try my best to help!!!!!!

Paul

cheers, good advice, sounds tricky though.

There was a fella in PB Obsession a fair few issues ago circa '06/'07 that did just that (ZX-10 front end onto a ZX-7). If I recall is was a pretty tidy job and the bike was/is the nuts. It was in the early days of obsession so was only 1 or 2 pages at the most.

If you can get one of the folk on here that has a large collection of PB's to look it up for you then there may well be some pointers.

I remember the bike vividly coz it was me that found it and it's owner and put PB onto him. The geezers first name was Jos.

There was a fella in PB Obsession a fair few issues ago circa '06/'07 that did just that (ZX-10 front end onto a ZX-7). If I recall is was a pretty tidy job and the bike was/is the nuts. It was in the early days of obsession so was only 1 or 2 pages at the most.

If you can get one of the folk on here that has a large collection of PB's to look it up for you then there may well be some pointers.

I remember the bike vividly coz it was me that found it and it's owner and put PB onto him. The geezers first name was Jos.

sounds good....anyone have said issue?

theres loads of posts on redmonkey of people fitting different front and rear ends to 7r's

theres loads of posts on redmonkey of people fitting different front and rear ends to 7r's

dont like that site though, just cant get along with the layout, the half american-ness of it or anything really , thats why i asked if any uk people have took this on.

dont like that site though, just cant get along with the layout, the half american-ness of it or anything really , thats why i asked if any uk people have took this on.

I agree fully there's a lot of good info but its a nightmare to navigate.

Never understood why people would want to swap the forks out as radial brakes are a fashion statement and a re-valve would do a good job of refreshing the forks.

Also does anyone hava a how to on the secondary air intake system removal for the 7r.

Also does anyone hava a how to on the secondary air intake system removal for the 7r.

I saw you post this on Redmonkey. Do you mean removing the emission control crap thats on there?

I saw you post this on Redmonkey. Do you mean removing the emission control crap thats on there?

Yes mate any help greatly appreciated. :icon_blackeye:

SORRY ABOUT THE THREAD JACKING.

Get the forks to K-Tech or Maxton, and swap the Tokico Calipers with Nissin 6-pots.

You'll have a much better front end than a ZX10R.

would love too, but cant find nissins for less than a million pounds

ps....no worries for thread jacking....any 7r questions are welcome.

Yes mate any help greatly appreciated. :eusa_dance:

See pic. Any questions, fire away. But I think its quite clear.

You run the breather from the top of the carbs into the right side of the airbox (as you sit on the bike).

There will be an unused beather hole on the left side that you need to block up. I just cut the hose that was in there down and blocked that.

:thumbsup:

100_2373.jpg

See pic. Any questions, fire away. But I think its quite clear.

You run the breather from the top of the carbs into the right side of the airbox (as you sit on the bike).

There will be an unused beather hole on the left side that you need to block up. I just cut the hose that was in there down and blocked that.

:eusa_dance:

100_2373.jpg

would love too, but cant find nissins for less than a million pounds

FWR used to sell them for £175 per caliper, as used on the MV Agusta and ZX7RR homologation bike!

FWR used to sell them for £175 per caliper, as used on the MV Agusta and ZX7RR homologation bike!

phoned them a while ago and again just now. Definately not getting any more.

like i said, theyre rocking horse shit, hence why if therye about theyre a million pounds.

Try Fowlers in Bristol. My dimming memory recalls that they might have been the Nissin importer?

just got off the phone, £193 +vat per side..........blimey, that 10r front end looks cheap now, cheers for remembering them though. at least its an option.

Are the spacings on the 7r the same as the zxr 750? If so get a pair of gsxr 1000 k1, spacings are the same, just need to get some reducers made up to fit the 8mm gsxr caliper bolts, so they dont wobble about in the 10mm dia zxr/7r forks. If yore stuck for them pm and I'll make ya some at work.

Paul

Are the spacings on the 7r the same as the zxr 750?.

Paul

No. GSXR600/750/1000 K1-3 calipers will fit the ZXR750's (J K L & M). You need to make up a sleeve and spacer though. I've got a pair of K3 calipers on my M.

I think the later K4 onwards calipers have a wider pitch and will fit the ZX7 (P) but not 100% on that one?!

:eusa_think:

No. GSXR600/750/1000 K1-3 calipers will fit the ZXR750's (J K L & M). You need to make up a sleeve and spacer though. I've got a pair of K3 calipers on my M.

I think the later K4 onwards calipers have a wider pitch and will fit the ZX7 (P) but not 100% on that one?!

:D

maybe, ive found out busa ones of that era fit......not sure what calipers k4's use though.

65mm I think they are pete, bloody 90mm's are hard to find

i know! cheers though, thought they might be. as far as i can see, unless somethign pops on up on ebay then my differing caliper options consist of new nissin 6 pots from america for roughly 600 dollars. or harrison billet mini 6s for 600 quid ish.

damn.

Would seriously give thought to stripping them down and putting in a new seal kit and then just stay on top of cleaning them often, nowt wrong with them once sorted

Would seriously give thought to stripping them down and putting in a new seal kit and then just stay on top of cleaning them often, nowt wrong with them once sorted

well. ive definately decided im not sticking with them, i dont want to go through rebuilding them and then still not being happy with them. just got a quote for shipping on the nissins from the usa site. 578 dollars for the pair to my door. thats the best price ive found.

Archived