Chips & Scratches In Carbon

rossm

Bit pissed off that the side panels I've ordered from the States rolled up looking like this below, any tips on getting it sorted, or am I looking at a rub down and re-clearcoat?

100_0288.jpg

100_0289.jpg

If any of the scratches are a bit deep then clear araldite splodged on then rubbed back should sort it.

I experianced a similar problem with a rear hugger which had a few marks on it - the marks were too deep to rub back and recoat with lacque. You can't run carbon back too far as in my experiance, it raises the nap on the weave and then is difficult to lacque and produce a fine finish. Solution: I had a mould made up fron glass fibre using the hugger as a template, then a whole new hugger was made up from carbon fibre weave, looks brand new now and no different to the original.

i have rubbed plenty of prepreg stuff back in the past & never had a problem, however never done it with wet layup type stuff, i would imagine that this is what you may have had issues with.

Depends how deep it is but you can fill it then sand it back wet and dry then use a compound on a cutting sponge. You'll probably get a better finish than it is at the moment.

If it turned up like that can't you get a replacement ???

If the chips are down to the resin/cloth, then just fill it with some sort of clear epoxy, rub back and clearcoat again.

If it's just the clearcoat rub it back and apply some new stuff.

Archived