Painting Panels

Jenny Pryde

Primer is done. Some people sat to use 600 dry, some say 1000, some say 1200, some say wet and dry, then clean it with tack cloth,

followed by (how many) coats of paint, followed by lacquer.

Can anyone qualified provide a rough guide?

Ta.

Primer is done. Some people sat to use 600 dry, some say 1000, some say 1200, some say wet and dry, then clean it with tack cloth,

followed by (how many) coats of paint, followed by lacquer.

Can anyone qualified provide a rough guide?

Ta.

Im not Qualified but here's how id do it for a good job.

Primer 2-3 coats

600 wet n dry (water in bucket with a little washing up liquid to stop clogging)

When you think its ok give the panel a dusting of black spray and go over it again.Any black paint visible means you have a low spot.You want no black. (they use carbon powder nowadays)

2 coats of top coat if 2 pac or 4 coats if cellulose (let get tacky before hitting with 2nd/3rd/4th coat)

flat this down when dry with 1200 grit (water/bucket etc)

clean with panel wipe then tack cloth

(Do not touch panel with bare hands from now on,use latex gloves or your paintwork will get contaminated)

tack cloth just before you are going to paint it.(gloves on)

paint 2 coats of clear coat (do 1st coat and wait till it gets tacky then hit it with the 2nd coat.

1200 grit wet n dry to flatten bits out or the orange peel effect.

Compound n polish.

remember to leave the paint to dry for 24 ours between wet sanding. :thumbsup:

Budgetboy, after reading this and your method for dispatching geese, I have to say 'You sir, are awesome' :icon_salut: (Are you Chuck Norris?)

:beerchug:

Why thanks mate. I like to "TRY" and help if i can or offer my advice on here.That's what its all about IMO.We all have to learn somewhere. :thumbsup:

Glad you like my opinions/Advice though makes it all worthwhile when people thankyou for it.

Painting has always been a black art but the way you explain that process, step by step, makes me think I could do it myself. I have the patience, just not the knowledge. You do yourself a dis-service saying you're not qualified. My only question would be how to avoid contamination with dust and fluff in a domestic setting, ie a garage or shed?

Painting has always been a black art but the way you explain that process, step by step, makes me think I could do it myself. I have the patience, just not the knowledge. You do yourself a dis-service saying you're not qualified. My only question would be how to avoid contamination with dust and fluff in a domestic setting, ie a garage or shed?

I'm self taught at everything i know.I like learning new skills all the time.But painting is not a black art,its all in the prep work.I always try and explain things like that as if the person does not know how to do it.Saves lots of questions later and also helps others like yourself. :thumbsup:

Hope to be setting something up later on to do with bike but that a while away yet..

About your question on contamination.

get some polythene on a roll and make up a make shift spray booth where you can hang the panel up.make sure sheeting does not move about on the drops.The ceiling one should be fixed.Tape up any gaps.Before you spray wet the floor and this will stop the dust from getting airborne and sticking to your paintwork.

Once you have painted the panels do not go back in the shed until the next day.Nothing worse that open and shutting door to stir up dust.

Hope that helps.

Archived