4xv Front Wheel Clearance

gsxr renegade

I need a bit of advice about the front wheel on my R1.

when i had the crash, the forks were bent, and as a result, the wheel was pushed back slightly - just enough to foul the front of the bellypan.

I figured it was the bent forks that was causing the wheel to be back further than it should be - but i've only just got round to trying to fit the bellypan from the race fairings i bought the other week.

As it turns out - the wheel is still fouling the fairing. I've tried everything i can think of to get the wheel back where it should be. The yokes and forks and wheel have all been replaced for straight items since the crash, but the wheel is still sitting back too far.

It's not far off where it should be - probably only an inch or so too far but the bellypan won't fit and i need to sort it out.

has anyone got any idea what else i can try to sort it out?

this is what i'm dealing with;

6208927828_522096ab2a.jpg

6208931230_9553638c7a.jpg

i had this with my gsxr k4 after replacing forks and yolks i found out it was the frame that was fooked, got it straightened from a lad in halifax. about £220 if i remember right it was quite far out. :icon_pale:

i had this with my gsxr k4 after replacing forks and yolks i found out it was the frame that was fooked, got it straightened from a lad in halifax. about £220 if i remember right it was quite far out. :icon_pale:

Damn. I'm thinking it might be the frame, but im hoping it's not and there's something else that i'm missing!!

hope it is mate but that sounds exactly like what i thought, just reread the origional and you seem to be tightening the head bearings regularly, like i said i hope i'm wrong :eusa_pray:

i came off mine at about 25/35 mph bike front wheel hit a car wheel it obliterated the bike, was about £1400 to fix with second hand bits. bike never felt right again, however i think a lot of it may have been in my mind.

edited to say can you not borrow some origional bodywork just to make sure, thats where i would go if you can get someone local to lend you.

hope it is mate but that sounds exactly like what i thought, just reread the origional and you seem to be tightening the head bearings regularly, like i said i hope i'm wrong :eusa_pray:

i came off mine at about 25/35 mph bike front wheel hit a car wheel it obliterated the bike, was about £1400 to fix with second hand bits. bike never felt right again, however i think a lot of it may have been in my mind.

edited to say can you not borrow some origional bodywork just to make sure, thats where i would go if you can get someone local to lend you.

I've tried it with my original bellypan and it still gives the same results. Fuck! :(

Oh well, time to start saving to get it checked then! Thanks for the help dude! :thumbsup:

Could always roll it up my way and we can crack out the measuring tape, compare your bike to mine, just to double check

Thanks fella, i may have to take you up on that. :thumbsup:

You need to get it on a jig...sounds like the frame has been tweaked. Also worth checking the headstock bearing cups to make sure that they aren't deformed.

I’ll get them checked at the same time I do the frame to make sure – but they don’t seem to be as I put a fresh set of bearings in after the crash and they seated without any troubles. I’ll have them checked professionally though just to make sure.

I need a bit of advice about the front wheel on my R1.

6208927828_522096ab2a.jpg

6208931230_9553638c7a.jpg

my money's on the rim tape being the cause of the problem.

on a slightly more serious note, you say the forks and yokes were replaced post crash, presumably these were second hand and therefore are you 100% sure the replacement items are all straight and true?

if so, then I'm afraid it's looking like the bearings or, more likely, the frame itself. Bugger.

if it's any help, I have a set of 100% straight 4XV yokes that you are welcome to borrow if you would like to try them out for reference?

measure the distance from the front wheel spindle to the swingarm spindle to the nearest mm. improvise something to fit in the spindle holes.

i'll check mine tonight.

measure the distance from the front wheel spindle to the swingarm spindle to the nearest mm. improvise something to fit in the spindle holes.

i'll check mine tonight.

Brill. Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

I've measured it as accurately as I can, and from the centre of the rear to the centre of the front is almost exactly 54 inches which is 1371.6mm

i'll check mine tonight.

840mm

i didnt measure the front to rear distance, as it depends how tight the chain is!

and the winner is porter jamie (who doesn't have a bent frame) :icon_pale: sorry renegade, i know you have gone spindle to spindle but at that measurement it's 50mm smaller than my wheelbase at 1420 with spindle in roughly the middle of the swingarm slot. my front spindle to swingarm pivot is very roughly 850mm, as i said yesterday the frame should be able to be pulled back i believe the gsxr went about 40/45mm, looks like yours isn't far away from that, good news was the lad said he could do them a few times before the frame would be scrap. need to get those head races checked as well mate. :(

i measured with a tape, and a couple of bits of bar poking out of the spindle holes, and i lined up the steering by eye - so nearest 5mm i'd say!!

i measured with a tape, and a couple of bits of bar poking out of the spindle holes, and i lined up the steering by eye - so nearest 5mm i'd say!!

obviously i just measured by eye but like you say 5mm/10mm ok but 40/45mm sommats up if not the frame best go to specsavers.

as i say i know his pain.

840mm

i didnt measure the front to rear distance, as it depends how tight the chain is!

Ah. Sorry, mis understood.

Yep- frames bent then. I get 790mm. And when I mount the bellypan the wheel is abot 50mm too far back which would make sense.

Thanks all - looks like I'm saving up to get it on a jig then!! :(

Archived