Swapping 5jj R1 Yokes For 2007 4c8 Yokes

hybrid400

im trying to speed up my 2000 5jj r1 lazy steering and ive been given a set of 2007 4c8 r1 yokes to try on the old girl.

im just trying to make sure ive got all my facts right b4 i take it to bits.am i right in thinking that the 2000 r1 has 35 mm of yoke offset? and the 2007 4c8 has 25mm of offset?i know people use the 2002/3 yokes from the 5pw r1 that has 30mm of yoke offset to speed up the steering,but will taking 10mm be too much?has anybody else put the 07 yokes on a 4xv or 5jj|? many thanks-steve

06 on a 4xv for me. I love it mate. Most improvement of note is round slower first/second gear corners believe it not, it just feels easier to make it go where you want to go, I cant really explain why it's different but its just better lol.

• 4 weeks later...

ive now managed to graft the 07 4c8 r1 yokes onto my 5jj.it was very straight forward.a mate machined out the bolts that hold the ignition barrel in and a couple of fzr400 caliper bolts now hold the ignition barrel in the 4c8 yokes.i thought there may be an issue with throttle cables and parts of the switchgear loom that pass around the yoke area as the 5jj bottom yokes are stepped in shape and the 4c8 ones are flat,but all the cables and bits of loom fitted around it ok.you have to lose the brake line guide/holder that bolts onto the 5jj yoke but that turned out ok as the 5jj plastic shroud that sits under the bottom yoke fits( not perfectly but good/safely enough and you cant see it) and guides the brake lines out of harms way.i had to make bracket to hold the brake fluid resevoir(out of an old fzr400 bracket)and the 5jj steering damper bracket needs to be modified as it now has some clearance issues with the 4c8 yoke but im hoping the bike will be stable enough not to have to refit it anyway.first riding impressions are good the steering needs much less effort and the bike is much nicer to ride.the heavy slow speed steering is now a thing of the past but the shit weather we had this weekend stopped any further/faster test riding-roll on next weekend!

lol. i hate to burst your bubble mate, but you will be 'SLOWING' your steering down.

the 98-01 has the most aggressive offset of all the r1s. (35mm vs 25 or 30mm)

but don't fret as slowing it up stabilizes the bike better.

the larger the 'offset' measurement, the faster/more aggressive it is.

i think you may be right,just done some homework on steering geometry and it looks like the higher the yoke offset the more aggressive the steering should be.but i think i did do the right thing as the steering is so much nicer,the really heavy slow steering is gone,its not faster to turn just takes less effort,but ive still got to give it a proper ride.if i have made a cock up its only a couple of hours work to put it back to standard,but cheers for the info

Archived