Srad Gearbox Noise

bobert

I'm currently running an srad 750 as a track bike but it's developed a nasty 'whine' from the gearbox mainly on deceleration. When I picked it up the chain was over tight which I think has caused a bearing to self destruct over time. Now the question is...

Is it a difficult rebuild job or am I better off just buying an eBay engine and box? 

Whatdoyareckon?

You will need a full gasket set currently costing £159 (best price).

Its the only thing stopping me rebuilding mine, my advice is if you can get a complete low mileage running engine for £200...buy it.

GD

To be honest I've been considering the rebuild option, I used to be a honda technician many moons ago (cars) so I'm not shy of getting stuck in but its the cost of parts that put me off,

But then I guess if I get a naff engine from ebay then it could cost a lot more.....

Anyone got an engine for sale?

and Mr Si...

How much do you think.....?

Not 100% sure on this but can you not turn the engine over and split the cases without disturbing the top end? This'd save you the cost of a head gasket etc. Also check the prices for the bearings from a bearing factor as well as through Suzuki.

Not 100% sure on this but can you not turn the engine over and split the cases without disturbing the top end? This'd save you the cost of a head gasket etc. Also check the prices for the bearings from a bearing factor as well as through Suzuki.

^^^^^ this is true , give it a strip , it's gotta come out anyway

To be honest I've been considering the rebuild option, I used to be a honda technician many moons ago (cars) so I'm not shy of getting stuck in but its the cost of parts that put me off,

But then I guess if I get a naff engine from ebay then it could cost a lot more.....

Anyone got an engine for sale?

and Mr Si...

How much do you think.....?

give me a pm and ill sort you an engine out.

I'm currently running an srad 750 as a track bike but it's developed a nasty 'whine' from the gearbox mainly on deceleration. When I picked it up the chain was over tight which I think has caused a bearing to self destruct over time. Now the question is...

Is it a difficult rebuild job or am I better off just buying an eBay engine and box?

Whatdoyareckon?

You can split casings to replace gearbox. I had a problem with mine stuck in gear.

Bought a fairly low mileage bottom end of an engine plus other bits for £70 off ebay and just swapped the internals, new oil pan gasket and sump plug - done.

Fairly straightforward job but if your not keen on diy, give it to Speedy Sie to sort as he`s the man.:icon_salut:

Seem to remember, at the time, Sennidott had a gearbox going spare ?

Archived