Rubbing Down Pitted Forks

Mr.Incredible

Hello.

The forks on my 900SS are a teeny bit pitted in thee sweep area of the seals.

What grade of paper do you recommend I use to rub them down?

Thanks

I would not recommend rubbing them down at all. You will cause greater damage to your seals.

Get them re-chromed. Should only cost about £50

Jezz

1200 or finer outside of the seal area, as per what jezz said its not ideal in the seal area but I have done it in the past without issue

I have heard it done by flatting and filling using clear nail polish and then re flatted but not sure how effective it is

Cheers

Chris

Oh and plenty of WD40 if you do

How badly pitted Nicky?

If it's in the sweep area, anything you do will only be a quick fix. Re-chroming or new stanchions would be the way to go.

For minor pitting and a couple of chips in the chrome, I've smeared Araldite on the spots then polished with 2000 grit used wet, then buffed on a wheel with a soft mop and fine compound.

Then I sold the bike ;).

Google Loy Blocks

If you can manage to get hold of one, they are excellent for getting rid of light pitting on fork legs or cleaning up gasket faces

Sorted.

http://www.briliant.biz/products/loy-blocks-metal-cleaning-abrasive-blocks-kit.html

i used similar polishing stones from my toolroom on my gsxr track bike, then autosolv with fine scotchbrite. no leaking seals yet!!!!!

No need really for the scotchbrite after you've used a loy block, the fine one is just right

They're great aren't they ?

Use the fine one with 3in1 (or light grade) oil.

Look for some used forks and fit them, it's cheaper than a rechrome.

Archived