I Think I've Gotten Water Into The Petrol

wesifume

Okay, i put petrol into the bike yesterday out of the petrol can i have in the garage..i had drained the fuel from my mower into the can through a funnel and strainer.

I started the bike and it was firing but then it started what can be described as Gargling, real RAAAHHHRRGGHH noise, if it was meant to sound like this then it would be awesome, but it not and it isn't.

I syphoned the fuel outta the tank, dumped it and the missus picked me up a fresh 5 litres, the bike drained the battery cus she wouldn't fire, so i've had it on charge but she still will not fire.

The fuses are all fine, the pump is priming, the bikes turning over but no ignition.

If there is a seperate problem, im not seeing it on the clocks. No fault code and no flashing of the LED, however it is coming on and staying on. The problem here is they are U.S. Clocks on a UK bike so may not be showing all the info.

So, will i drain the tank again? and

Check the plugs?

Check the fuel rail?

Pray and maybe offer a sacrifice to the Magic God UM.

answers on a post card.

Wes

If the bike's injected then draining the tank's a peice of piss: undo the coupling to the fuel rail, put the hose into a bucket/your mouth, then turn the bike on. The fuel pump should empty the tank into your chosen receptacle. Keep the old fuel for degreasing purposes.

If the bike's injected then draining the tank's a peice of piss: undo the coupling to the fuel rail, put the hose into a bucket/your mouth, then turn the bike on. The fuel pump should empty the tank into your chosen receptacle. Keep the old fuel for degreasing purposes.

regarding old fuel, i stupidly emptied it down a drain in the Garage..The house stinks of Petrol, i have been sending water down the hose into the drain and just added washing up liquid ( desperate at this stage as the house smells like Trident specials cock) what are the chances of an explosion if i drop a match down the drain.

regarding old fuel, i stupidly emptied it down a drain in the Garage..The house stinks of Petrol, i have been sending water down the hose into the drain and just added washing up liquid ( desperate at this stage as the house smells like Trident specials cock) what are the chances of an explosion if i drop a match down the drain.

For a start I should slap your legs for doing something quite so unutterably stupid. Not only is it dangerous, but it's not exactly good for the old environment.

So as penance, you should chuck a flare down the drain. When you house returns from orbit, then you will have paid your dues.

If you look up at the sky right now, just to the right of the sun you should be able to see him returning to earth after checking the drain with his lighter :icon_blackeye:

Think some scented degreaser and hot water may shift the petrol smell and as for not running, is it sparking?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...BUMMMFF!

Okay, i'm back

House still there, wive in work, Rabbits are toast.

I'll have it all apart tonight and will report back...

Gonna pull the pump out of the tank aswell to make sure ther's not loadsa crap in the Gauze filter.

Hmmm..

It may not be water in the petrol at all.

The secondary injectors over the trumpets are not dispensing any fuel. (Do they even work initially or is it only at speed/certain revs?) Now, i couldn't tell if you Primary ones are, i just have to assume they are.

I forgot about the fucking air box intake, its right over the plugs..FFS why does everything have to be a bloody chore, i can't even remember how i got it off before but i think it involved all the bodywork at the front off and loosening the rad at both sides and the bottom between the down pipes.

Fuck fuckidy fuck fuck fuck.

Is there a fuse some where for the injectors? im looking for easy ways out at this stage.

Fuel pump is working, fuel is in tank, we have ignition, we have turn over

have'nt checked spark (trying not to cus its heartache) but will if i have to...Should have just bought a GSXR

See if that was carbs ..... :eusa_whistle:

If it was carbs I'd chuck some carb cleaner down the intakes and start it on that .... might work with FI but then again it might not.

Right, i have spark from 3 cylinders, from right to left, 4th cylinder no spark but i reckon it was because the battery was drained and didn't have the power to give.

The thick plottens.

its on charge now, early rise on Saturday and i'll see if i get spark on 4..if i do then im stumped.

I just now its gonna be just a fuse or something stupid.

Right, i have spark on all 4 cylinders so now im stumped. Has to be something electrical. Gonna delve into the Haynes and see if it can shed some light.

While im here i may as well do the airbox mod. @ Zak, if you are online i know you had a pic of the correct tube it is, if poss could you find the pic again?

In gonna rub down some areas with petrol to get the gresse off. And im gonna giveba breaker mate a call to see if he has a uk dash for this thing, if he does it may show up a fault code.

Actually Zak i found it, and its basically a pointless mod, but the flapper mod seems to be of worth so i'll do that.

Is fuel actually flowing though, you say you have fuel in the tank and the pump works but is it actually pumping? If its sparking and getting fuel it should go,so to me sounds like it isnt getting any gogo juice through :eusa_think:

Is fuel actually flowing though, you say you have fuel in the tank and the pump works but is it actually pumping? If its sparking and getting fuel it should go,so to me sounds like it isnt getting any gogo juice through :eusa_think:

This i don't know.

How can i check?

I can hear the pump prime...i could take it out and immerse it in a pot of clean fuel and make sure its circulating, but is there another easier way?

Yes, pull the fuel rail connector off and squirt a load out. If you've got shit in the fuel anyway this is about the first thing you should've done anyway, like was mentioned in your first reply....

Yes, pull the fuel rail connector off and squirt a load out. If you've got shit in the fuel anyway this is about the first thing you should've done anyway, like was mentioned in your first reply....

Sorry i am a fucking mong..There is fuel coming through the pump, rail will be checked next

After my Brain Fart interlude i can now confirm,

we have Fuel to the first rail and into the injectors

putting bike back together now.

Okay, i was reading through the Haynes whilst in the Library, and i got to the section with the Fault codes..of which i wasn't getting any, but the red HID/Oil/Fault light was stuck on, of which there is a fault but only if the bikes running.

The next part said put the bike on the sidestand and turn on the ignition with the run switch on and see what what fault code came up.

Did that, nothing showed up. For shits and giggles i thumbed the starter, it coughed, it spluttered, it fired! it stayed running, it was gargling but it cleared and revved and revved hard and clean..

Fucking bikes.

@ Lorenzo and Zak Thanks very much

Flapper is ell worth doing....gets rid of the big power dip at 5000rpm. While you are at it, disconnect the cables running to the exhaust servo and drill the baffles out (assuming the zorst is standard). Gives nearly as much power as a baffled race can :icon_salut:

When are you coming back over..ill let you do this. :eusa_whistle:

See if that was carbs ..... :eusa_whistle:

If it was carbs I'd chuck some carb cleaner down the intakes and start it on that .... might work with FI but then again it might not.

Just for the record... this works the same on FI bikes.

I had this in april on my SP1, ended up having to take all the fuel lines and injectors out and cleaning them bit by bit :angry:

it'll throw an error up on the dash if you rotate the servo.

Not on his dash it won't...

LOL....you buying the beers? :icon_salut:

Disconnecting the exhaust cables takes about 20 minutes. the only (very slightly) tricky bit is making sure not to disturb the servo motor when yanking the cables out...it'll throw an error up on the dash if you rotate the servo.

Drilling the baffles is only marginally more tricky:

Just don't drop the hole saw into the can....don't ask me how I know such things...:eusa_wall:

Next..on When Wes breaks his bike again, sure i'll give it a go.

Next..on When Wes breaks his bike again, sure i'll give it a go.

Ed Zacchery

Glad its sorted :icon_salut:

:icon_salut:

Archived