Fork Revalve/rebuild Options

davosaurusrex

So I want to get my GSXR1000 forks rebuilt including a revalve. Had 100% set them up last week but they couldn't stop them 'pattering' under heavy braking which is apparently due to the piston rebounding off the hydraulic bump stop. Spoken to various companies;

K-tech kit is about £430 fitted, seems popular, various dealers fit them, Steve Jordan prob closest to me

Maxton £340+ VAT & carriage so a similar price, hydraulic bump stop replaced with spring type. Like the sound of Maxton but still a bit pricey. Have had a shock rebuilt inc revalve by them years ago and it was mint

Kais £295 inc VAT plus carriage, revalve, new springs, change bump stop from 30mm from end of stroke to 10mm which also stops the stop 'gripping' the piston apparently. They also sell the Ohlins kit at £500 but he reckons you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference

Reactive £545 - sounds good but can't afford it

PDQ £605 - as above

Phoned MCT but they've all buggered off on holiday until next week

Any opinions on these and any others welcome, leaning towards Kais mainly due to price

I've got the full Ohlins kit in my forks, Kais did that and it's very good, though not quite there even though they matched it to my TTX shock.

The TTX shock was recently serviced and had a new spring put on by FTR and it is superb and now outshines the forks by some margin. I'd give FTR a shot if i were you, great to deal with.

Although it's some time back, I used kais and had a less than fantastic time. Not only did the 10 days they quoted double but I ran everything at more or less minimum damping as it was so hard. All of this with a rebuild and revalve service, as opposed to a damper kit etc.

I have a Maxton shock and rebuilt revalved forks and they are awesome.

Had my old NSR stuff rebuilt (on 2 seperate bikes at seperate times) by K-Tech and they were awsome.

I'm going to have my Forks and shock refreshed on the CBR this winter by K-Tech, the only reason for this is that they are local to me and I can drop it off and pick it up as opposed to paying carriage to Maxton.

• 1 month later...

Best bet...................... Wait for Darren to come back at MCT :thumbsup: He used own a GSXR 1000, so knows them backwards.

He did my K6 1000. one word to describe it now............ AWESOME! :eusa_dance:

Best bet...................... Wait for Darren to come back at MCT :thumbsup: He used own a GSXR 1000, so knows them backwards.

He did my K6 1000. one word to describe it now............ AWESOME! :eusa_dance:

Cheers for that. How much and what did he do? (Insert jokes about 'extras' here).

Dave, another alternative is the Andreani kit. Their fork tops are quite clever as you can adjust ride height without altering pre-load or having to slide the legs up or down in the yokes. The only downside is I believe the UK distributor is FTR and I wouldn't let them lick the sweat from my "baw bag"....

Take it you were oogling them on the No Limits GSXR?

• 4 months later...

Zombie thread. What could I get done to my K5's forks for about £250? My suspension was set up by Mick Grant a fews years back and the bikes always been really stable.

With the good weather of the last couple of weeks and a bit of spirited riding I ve found my hands going round in little circles as everything boings about when coming off the brakes and on to the throttle.

I can only imagine the forks need a good service?

Had mine done by MCT in the end, with the 10% off voucher in PB it was £260 inc return post for revalve with new seals and (lighter) springs. They are nice but I have to say I think they're too soft for fast road/track, Ktech told me the standard springs are correct for my weight. At Snett last week the patter that plagued them when hard on the brakes was vastly reduced but still there, phoned Darren and he told me the problem was the rear end locking and to raise the tickover to 2500rpm as a form of rudimentary slipper clutch, he was right as well although the problem was still slightly evident. He did say he would swap back to the standard springs FOC but as I don't live nearby that won't happen, think a slipper clutch conversion from a K5/K6 will be one of my next mods.

Archived