Coolant Or Not?

lorenzo

Will be poking about with the cooling system on the trackbike over the next few days and I was wondering what the consensus on coolant is? As it's not going to be used over winter, and will be tucked up in its nice warm garage, is coolant/antifreeze needed? I plan on using water boiled up in the kettle to descale it, and also a bottle of water wetter. Is this sufficient, specifically with corrosion in mind?

While we're talking cool stuff, rad fans on a track bike; bin them both or keep just one of them as a bit of a safety net?

I'd use something like a 1:10 ration mate, just for corrosion inhibition. Water is better at cooling that coolant anyways.

Junk the fans..do it - you'll not be crawling through Glossop on a Saturday on it will you?

R1's don't like getting hot, especially when thwapping™ the tit's off them and then sitting in pit lane under a red. Keep at least one, and take a shit before you go on track.

*You have not been charged for this info.

Exactly what I use, will be swapped for some proper coolant though over the winter as my garage doesn't stay very warm at all...

I junked the fan on my RR - however as Trig says, on an R1 I'd consider keeping one fitted. You could even wire it into a switch so you could use it when you want.

Archived