Srad Engine Rebuild Help

V6Jon

I have mentioned previously I thought my SRAD was starting to make a knocking sound, and over the last couple of weeks it has been getting worse :icon_pale:

Having checked and adjusted everything I can think of, I resorted to the screwdriver against the ear today and there is a definite knock from the bottom end, and the noise is loudest on the right hand side as you sit on the bike (cam chain end). So now I am wondering whether it is cheaper/better rebuilding it (which I have never done before) or replacing it from a breaker ??

I am swaying towards a rebuild as buying a second hand (unknown) 15 year old engine seems to be asking for trouble, however I have no idea of the hours, parts or costs in a full rebuild and would appreciate any advice from anyone who can help.

What sort of costs a can expect if I handed the engine over and got someone else to do it ?

How many hours work is involved ?

Is this something I could realistically do myself, or does it require loads of special tools etc ?

What sort of costs am I looking at for sets of bearings / gaskets and anything else I should replace while its apart ?

Is it worth doing anything else (flowed head etc) while it is apart ?

Mostly I am fucking gutted to have spent nearly eighteen months rebuilding this thing only for the motor to let go in under 500 miles :eusa_wall:

Cheers chaps :icon_salut:

Srad Neil had an engine for sale recently. I'd be inclined to do both: stick a 2nd hand one in, get a set of big bore pistons, yoshi cams, flowed head and take your time on the rebuild, then sell your interim engine.

I'm doing it as we speak, you will need these Special Tools..and a gasket set which is £170.

If I had the time and money I could have completed rebuild in 2-3 days... as it is the prohibitive cost of the gasket set is holding me up. BTW if a big end has gone it will be the second one in from the RH side..

Anything else just ask..

GD

Srad Neil had an engine for sale recently. I'd be inclined to do both: stick a 2nd hand one in, get a set of big bore pistons, yoshi cams, flowed head and take your time on the rebuild, then sell your interim engine.

This may have crossed my mind also, just dont tell the wife :ph34r: not sure what is achievable, but was thinking :

lightened balanced crank

High comp pistons

flowed head

re-profiled cams

I have been offered a new engine for what seems a fair price, the main problem is getting it to Guernsey, but I am on the case . . .

Thanks for the link GD, I have already bought the tools for the swingarm and head off them :thumbsup:

Picture001-6.jpg

You should have really bought this for your SRAD. Sadly I've sold it.

I do, however still have the exhaust for this engine... you'll need the deep sump and oil pick up though...

Archived