Rz500 Gp Replica

jimjambandit

• 2 weeks later...

yes, but for that money you could get a TSS500GP with all the bells and whistles (carbon wheels, TZ250 suspension, etc etc)

And I reckon the TSS would blow this thing out of the water

If it's about getting the most bang for your buck you'd just buy a new 1000cc sportsbike and spend the other 10k on suspension and brakes. What you finished with would annihilate either of the strokers.

If it's about getting the most bang for your buck you'd just buy a new 1000cc sportsbike and spend the other 10k on suspension and brakes. What you finished with would annihilate either of the strokers.

Only down the straight though, any 2 stroke rider will explain about $50k 1000's at a track day :eusa_wall:

That particular bike is way overpriced, it has average running gear and a standard engine.

If it's bang for your buck the sorted 1000 will do a faster lap time than the stroker, regardless of how engaging the ride is.

ANYBODY can twist a throttle in a straight line.

I do agree a 1000 will lap quicker than any stroker but only does it on the straight bits! Bit like drag racing.

I wonder how a 1000 would cope at Three sisters? Bet a supermotard would kill it, kind of proving a theory.

Depends where you get a buzz.

yes, but for that money you could get a TSS500GP with all the bells and whistles (carbon wheels, TZ250 suspension, etc etc)

And I reckon the TSS would blow this thing out of the water

It probably would

but only two cylinders :(

Seen this bike before and all I can say is wow!

My only picky criticism is that the fairing needs to go back an inch or two, the belly pan is a little too close to the front wheel for my liking!

But I'd still have it :icon_salut:

My only picky criticism is that the fairing needs to go back an inch or two, the belly pan is a little too close to the front wheel for my liking!

As far as I can tell, the forks slide up and down not backwards and forwards..... I think the belly pan is safe.. :)

:icon_salut:

As far as I can tell, the forks slide up and down not backwards and forwards..... I think the belly pan is safe.. :)

The forks move up and down...... I didnt realise that :eusa_think::huh:

My point was which I didnt really explain well was that compared to the original bike it needed more of a gap!

Yamaha20YZR2050020200120Carlos20Checa.jpg

I think you would be surprised just how much forks do move back under heavy braking, on road bikes an inch or more isn't uncommon. Of course, those forks look super stiff- but they still flex, that belly pan is not as safe as it looks.. :)

Yamaha20YZR2050020200120Carlos20Checa.jpg

10 years on and that bike still looks more high tech than any 4stroke machine... sexy...

more cylinders doesnt always equal better... it entirely depends on the application...

sure it means more hp and a sweet symphony

but is also means less torque, more weight, wider engine

anyhow, thats not really the point of the thread now is it :)

a good rider on a light weight two stroke can not only corner faster than the bike litre bikes, but they probably have better throttle control to use the available torque from a big twin stroker like a Banshee, sure, they'll lose out a bit on top end power, but they would have probably made so much distance on the litre bike by then they probably couldn't catch them before the next corner where they'll extend their lead even further.

I've been thinking about putting a big Banshee in my KR1 chassis as the big bikes keep getting in my way in the corners, only to pi55 past me down the straight leaving me to do it all over again.....Grrrr

a good rider on a light weight two stroke can not only corner faster than the bike litre bikes, but they probably have better throttle control to use the available torque from a big twin stroker like a Banshee, sure, they'll lose out a bit on top end power, but they would have probably made so much distance on the litre bike by then they probably couldn't catch them before the next corner where they'll extend their lead even further.

I've been thinking about putting a big Banshee in my KR1 chassis as the big bikes keep getting in my way in the corners, only to pi55 past me down the straight leaving me to do it all over again.....Grrrr

That may be true of some riders, especially when having a litre bike makes some of us very lazy (the bike does it all so why bother? I know that's how I ride the GSXR these days), but I don't recall those good world class riders on their lightweight 2 strokes being able to do anything about the big heavy litre-sized 4Ts they were up against in 2002 except in qualifying when they might have an empty track ahead of them.... :eusa_think:

That may be true of some riders, especially when having a litre bike makes some of us very lazy (the bike does it all so why bother? I know that's how I ride the GSXR these days), but I don't recall those good world class riders on their lightweight 2 strokes being able to do anything about the big heavy litre-sized 4Ts they were up against in 2002 except in qualifying when they might have an empty track ahead of them.... :eusa_think:

That is because all the top world class riders moved on to 4 bangers at the same time. Would have been interesting to see Rossi at his peak on a 2 stroke against the 4 bangers. :eusa_think:

I think there was only the redbull team running 2 stroke Yamahas with Mc Coy & Hopkins who were both injured but still managed to put them near the front in qualifying.Also development of the 2"s had stopped completely.

The 2 strokes lacked speed on the straights but could make it up on the braking & cornering but it just knackered the rider out having to run at 110% lap after lap.

The 4 banger Honda was putting out over 200bhp in a 145kg package compared with Red Bulls 180bhp in a 135kg package but with hardly any torque in comparison. If they were held up mid bend then they were left trailing out on to the straights.

No one is saying the 2 strokes are better or faster, but just pointing out the fact that they make you actually ride the thing & have to think about what you are doing rather than pointing & squirting on a big 4 which just about 99.9% of anybody riding one can do. Proved by 2 of my mates passing direct access & buying Gixxer 1000"s as their 1st bike. :icon_pale:

They will NEVER learn how to ride properly & have missed out on so so much. Sigh.

P.S. that 250 above is bloody gorgeous!!

10 years on and that bike still looks more high tech than any 4stroke machine... sexy...

more cylinders doesnt always equal better... it entirely depends on the application...

sure it means more hp and a sweet symphony

but is also means less torque, more weight, wider engine

anyhow, thats not really the point of the thread now is it :)

What a pity these are quickly becoming unaffordable relics, regardless of cylinders !

I've ridden a 636 on a trackday and used to race a VTwin TZ250, and the TZ was way more rewarding when really going for it (it did bite though) and made me a much better rider.

for that sort of money,i wouldnt be buying a costin 500 rep or a tss job.i would be buying an nxa rs 250 like my mate rich has :icon_salut:IMGP1903.jpg

You could not get that on the road like my Spondon RG. They are nice though and if money allowed I would still have a decent GP250 in my garage but only got enough cash for one good bike so will stick with the 500.

for that sort of money,i wouldnt be buying a costin 500 rep or a tss job.i would be buying an nxa rs 250 like my mate rich has :icon_salut:IMGP1903.jpg

Fuck yes. This is lovely and thankfully for the 250 Hondas its got a proper swingingarm.

That is because all the top world class riders moved on to 4 bangers at the same time. Would have been interesting to see Rossi at his peak on a 2 stroke against the 4 bangers. :eusa_think:

I think there was only the redbull team running 2 stroke Yamahas with Mc Coy & Hopkins who were both injured but still managed to put them near the front in qualifying.Also development of the 2"s had stopped completely.

I was being slightly silly in my reply... Gp racers and what they do can never be compared to ordinary mortals and what they can do with given machinery.

The 990 4Ts vs 500 2Ts was always going to end up like the V4 (and not-really V4 but a square 4 in a 'V' with 2 cranks 500 strokers) vs the 500cc twins - the twins had the corner speed and could do a good lap time, but the 4s could get past them them fuck them up in the corners and stay ahead...

In 2002 there were a fair few two stroke teams still out there - Roberts Modenas, Pons West Honda, Tech3 Yamaha and Red Bull Yamaha at least and all two rider teams IIRC...

I can remember sittin there in 2002 willing all them diesels to blow their guts out but unfortunately it never happened. I've been wearing my black armband ever since. This year is a very bad year for us lovers of proper bikes, how crap is it gonna be listening to a load of massive farts chugging round the track in next year's Moto3 :icon_pale:

Archived