Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner

kaighn80

right I've decided to try an ultrasonic parts washer, i'm keeping it low tech so it can be built easily, so far I've bought a sander, got a waste food recycling bin and some parcel tape, its a bit noisy but it seems to do the job. I'm getting cavitation (i think thats what you call the bubbles that seem to appear from nowhere) but i think that my fluid isnt the best of choices, i'm using bicycle cleaner from halfrauds and watering it down, i'll leave it running for a while and see what happens I've got an old chain in it at the min and it needed a propper clean so it should test the capabilities of the fluid and the sander.

don't think i have the right solution for dissolving ally, might need something a bit more corrosive

nah - its not the solution that 'dissolves' it - its the action of the cavitiating bubbles (it doesn't really dissolve just breaks it up into tiny bits). You can use this to test how well your bath is working as, more often than not, on real baths the transducers fall off after a bit. with very powerful baths, you can use a glass slide and see if it goes frosted.

RS do a cheap ally cleaner and a bit of heat in the bath really helps. Just a heads up though - ally cleaning fluids - very rarely on cheap'n'nasty cast ally, Ive had it react and go black :(

i'm looking into heat now, not entirely sure how to achieve this though cos the closest to a heater i have is a fishtank heater

i'm looking into heat now, not entirely sure how to achieve this though cos the closest to a heater i have is a fishtank heater

Morphy%20Richards%20Splash%20of%20Colour%20Q%20Element%20Kettle%20Burgandy.jpg

:thumbsup::icon_blackeye:

right, i left a mankey old chain in the bucket, left it on for an hour and its still a mankey old chain, it did however clean my hands up a treat in seconds, i'm missing something, it works but not well. intenet has provided a schematic for a comercial version using the propper bits and pieces and just roughly pricing it up i think it could be built for less than a nifty, the fluid was incredably cold though, i'm wondering if this has caused the problem of not working on the chain, i will add a fishtank heater for the moment and see what happens (i plan on taking it out before i turn the sander on) other than that i'll add a heat mat to the underside should be good to see the temp up to 30 deg ish. i'll report back after the weekend.

right, i left a mankey old chain in the bucket, left it on for an hour and its still a mankey old chain, it did however clean my hands up a treat in seconds, i'm missing something, it works but not well. intenet has provided a schematic for a comercial version using the propper bits and pieces and just roughly pricing it up i think it could be built for less than a nifty, the fluid was incredably cold though, i'm wondering if this has caused the problem of not working on the chain, i will add a fishtank heater for the moment and see what happens (i plan on taking it out before i turn the sander on) other than that i'll add a heat mat to the underside should be good to see the temp up to 30 deg ish. i'll report back after the weekend.

Just to let you know that you will need a decent degreaser. And the temp should be at about 50–65 °C (122–149 °F for optimum effects. umm thats it..

got to get temp in the solution. we run ours hot. the ultrasonics magnets in our tank are very powerful. just done some two stroke boat engine carbs and they came up a treat.

Top tip,

If you can't afford a load of cleaning solution put the parts to clean in a bag (maybe a big ziploc bag) with the decent cleaning solution in the bag and fill the bath with hot water, then set it off.

You use a lot less solution that way

:)

Darren

You need a baskit to put the parts in, no use just plopping it into the tank..I use an old baskit out of a deep fat frier in mine, no heater fitted but i do used hot water and a heavy duty degreaser type soap that my mate gets me from his work.

You need a baskit to put the parts in, no use just plopping it into the tank..I use an old baskit out of a deep fat frier in mine, no heater fitted but i do used hot water and a heavy duty degreaser type soap that my mate gets me from his work.

this - if the stuff sits on the bottom it acts as a damper. To be dead honest, I don't think your sander+tape approach will actually work as an ultrasonic cleaner (which usually run upwards of at least 20hz). I dunno what your sander will run at, but my guess is you'll have problems getting it to efficiently transfer its vibrations to the water (most cheap commercial cleaners usually have the transducer come loose in quick order....). I suspect though, that it will clean with a decent fluid since it should work like an agitated bath. Must be flippin' noisy though! :)

we use ultrasonic cleaners to clean jewellery at work.....we just use dishwashing liquid and a little ammonia....that cleans everything off....including brake calipers :eusa_whistle:

we use ultrasonic cleaners to clean jewellery at work.....we just use dishwashing liquid and a little ammonia....that cleans everything off....including brake calipers :eusa_whistle:

I might try this, do you have any pictures of this process?

I might try this, do you have any pictures of this process?

no pictures, but it's pretty simple..... pour a little ammonia into the tank, add some fairy liquid and put your bits in the basket.. like they stated above, keep the bits in a basket and don't let them touch the bottom or sides of the tank, as not only does this act like a buffer it also scratches the parts and the tank....it helps if you have a heated unit, you can pick up a nice 7litre unit off ebay for around £170, well that's what i paid for mine anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think to using a bit of acetone?

I've acquired a commercial bath, I have engine degreaser which I may water down a bit but I was thinking of using something a little more solvent based on my carbs.

i really don't think that would be necessary, it's the ultrasonic cycles that do most of the actual cleaning, the liquid is just there as a medium for the soundwaves to travel through and to help move the dirt away from the pieces you are cleaning......i suppose it would work, it just doesn't seem necessary at all to me..IMO sticking to the safest easiest options forst works best, if you get no joy, try something stronger, but an ultrasonic on its own should do a good job at cleaning most gunk off of most things

plugged it in and it does not work :(

Trying to find a manual online, not much joy at the moment.

It's a Grant MXB22, it powers up but does not fire the sonics or the heaters.

plugged it in and it does not work :(

Trying to find a manual online, not much joy at the moment.

It's a Grant MXB22, it powers up but does not fire the sonics or the heaters.

i read that these models have a cut-out switch which is resettable, though where you would find such a thing i have no clue.........

bastid.

i have found a how to using a little electronic know how and a bit of time. the most expensive part is the ultra sonic doodahs that have to be bonded to the bottom of the tank, i'm looking at using one of those rectangular chip pans which is made of stainless and has a heating element in it already, then all i have to do is mount the doodahs and drive them then bobs your monkeys cross dressing uncle.

transducers? ;)

yep dems da ones innit?

ok so chip pan aquired and cleaned (second hand one off my mum) transducers purchased and gathering other bits to make it work. i bought 2 pairs of transducers, but one in the pair is a transmitter and the other is a reciever (which feels heavier) can the reciever be driven too?

Archived