A cutting issue

Yoshi

After my bike going for a slide on the road, the exhaust from the base (non tip end) extending 5 cm has been scuffed and squashed.

What id like to know, is a straight forward surgical operation to cut the exhaust down about 5 cm and re rivet. I can rivet, drill so no worries there, are there any internal issues. Its a straight through can.

Is there any internal welding that has to be done, or is it as thought, cut, shut, rivet

Ta muchly

Depends on the can, my mate wanted to cut down his microns but the construction inside was quite complicated so he didnt bother in the end.

Only 1 way to find out, drill the rivets out and pop the end off.

damn good idea that, il drill them out and have a look,

It will be interesting to se if it is much louder, the yoshimura rs3 stainless (straight through) was damn loud as standard, still, will sound nice in the tunnels and passes of italy maybe.....

When i sent my Sp1 down the road i did the same thing to one of my Rs-3 cans. I did exactly what you did.

A bit of advice,use cobalt coated bits and cutting lube on the stainless rivets.If not you'll quickly destroy the tip of you bit and work harden the stainless rivet.

Drill out both sets of rivet straps. Your gonna have to give the billet tip a few wacks with a soft mallet to get it to come free,then tap the baffle back through and it'll come free. Cut ya baffle and can down and re-assemble. Might as well re-pack it while ya got it apart.

I thinks there's a vid on youtube showing a guy re-packing a Yoshi can.

Hope this helps!

it sure does, will be attacking it in a week or so, yeah i know lame...The bikes been looking sorry since the crash since last july so no rush. I will repack it, seems like a good plan, thanks all

I've just done this to my twin outlet carbon can and it was a good job I checked before cutting. If it's a twin outlet one there will only be one place you can cut it. If it's a single outlet type you should be fine.

yeah its a single outlet Yoshimura Rs3 Stainless, so should be ok. Watched the youtube vid, open both ends etc.....

I need to lop off 5 - 10cm, may need extra earplugs for my Italian trip later in the year though.

Archived