Replacing the faulty "brown connector" on an RSV1000R

burntout

This is taken from a post I made on Apriliaforum when I owned my 2004 RSV1000R.

A common problem (amongst a myriad of others) is that the "brown connectors", which link the stator to the regulator / rectifier, are known to be a hub of corrosion and faulty connections. Over time the resistance through this section of the circuit can build up leading to massive overheating and melting of said connector. This in turn leads to destroyed stators and the associated cost / ball ache.

This was how I replaced my lower brown connector (the one which tends to go first).

hope it helps someone out there......

Remove side fairing, lift tank and remove coolant tank (let it hang there).

locate the brown connector next to the right hand side (as you sit on it) of the throttle bodies. whipping the airbox out will help you gain access.

Cut the connector out and throw at the nearest dog - you wont be needing it any more.

Mine was fine so I shant show you a photo of it but it.

DSC00175.jpg

unclip the existing cables from the wiring harness so it can be relocated

DSC00178.jpg

using some long needle nose pliers - or very tiny dwarf like hands - pull the wire out to the LHS of the bike from the top of the stator. Be careful not to pull on the stator end but instead perform some twisting manouver to ease her out

DSC00177.jpg

relocate the existing wiring from the right hand side on top of the rear of the radiator and through to the LHS of the bike, cable tie it to the wiring loom to prevent movement. you can get it to pop out just above the LHS cooling fan

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

remove 5-10mm of insulation from the existing wiring and commence crimping. make sure you use the correct crimps for the wire dia. as well as a crimping tool. Pliers wont cut it in this case as it wont crimp correctly.

DSC00187.jpg

using a heat gun, heat the shrink wrap until you get a nice uniform shrinking. be careful not to burn your tank or the existing wiring. The crimps I used had glue within the heatshrink essentially sticking them to the insulation for added security. I wrapped the approaching wires with insulating tape to further restrict movement but left the crimps uncovered so I can keep and eye on them in the future.

DSC00189.jpg

lastely - cable tie them to the clutch line and the fairing bracket so they are out of harms way. sit back and enjoy a nice cuppa....you earned it! :cheers:

DSC00193.jpg

Cost of fix - £3.50 for 10 connectors - www.maplin.com in Blighty

1 hour of your time

1 tea bag, 2 sugars and some milk.

Of course, you could run new wires from the rectifier but I chose to use the existing to ensure I had the correct spec + they're free!

Repeat procedure for rectifier end if you desire - I left these as is for now though.

Archived