Wanted and it's obscure

Mark/Foggy

Right, what I'm after is a Jack Plug used in the old Bakerlite days of telephony.

Looks like a standard 8mm Guitar/Amp Jack Plug but carries 4 Poles (I think), need the male.

Anybody got any ideas?

Ta :eusa_whistle:

maplins or egay would be my best guess, might have to look further abroad on egay though like egay.us

Ta, but my guess is that the US stuff is a different standard.

So you want a TRRS 1/4" (6.35mm) male jack? or do you need 8mm?

Yeah my bad must be 1/4", whats TRRS? bet you can't guess what it's doing on a bike either! :eusa_whistle:

Had a look and there's loads of 3.5mm TRRS jacks available but sod all in 1/4". TRS is easy to find but that's probably no use. What's the application?

Believe it or not it feeds this

DSCF0070.jpg

Earth, 2 independent switched lighting circuits and a constant live feed. Endurance minimum rear lighting spec, but QD so that the seat and subframe come off as one in a crash. The female jack is mounted to the chassis.

So ideally you want something light and easily replaced if it breaks? You could use 2 TRS jacks to accomplish the same thing, advantage being that they are easy to find pretty much anywhere that sells electronics. I'd guess that a 3.5mm wouldn't be able to handle the gauge of cable you'd need to use for a lighting circuit unless you were using LEDs

So ideally you want something light and easily replaced if it breaks? You could use 2 TRS jacks to accomplish the same thing, advantage being that they are easy to find pretty much anywhere that sells electronics. I'd guess that a 3.5mm wouldn't be able to handle the gauge of cable you'd need to use for a lighting circuit unless you were using LEDs

Sadly the bikes a 10 yr old piece of history and the restoration is nearing completion. The team's moved on plenty since those days, but authenticity is needed.

you could contact Switchcraft or Neutrik and see if they can custom make one for you or maybe do them on special order. Just be aware that some Military spec jacks have slightly different dimensions. Your best bet is to try a guitar lead and if it goes in smoothly and latches then you have standard 1/4" dimensions.

When you say old style telephony style thing, are you meaning that it's shaped slightly differently to a guitar type jack, a bit more rounded at the end like this? Also, why the need for 2 seperate circuits and hence the 4 contacts? If you've got a common live going to it then surely all you want is a switched earth for your 2 lighting circuits?

you could contact Switchcraft or Neutrik and see if they can custom make one for you or maybe do them on special order. Just be aware that some Military spec jacks have slightly different dimensions. Your best bet is to try a guitar lead and if it goes in smoothly and latches then you have standard 1/4" dimensions.

1/4" deffo.

Hmm optical fibre , wonder how soon we'll be working that into race bikes. Might not be as crash friendly as a ring earth loom, but it would look cool.

I might have to start looking for redundant telephony forums out there in the clockwork universe and see if there are any friendly dinosaurs willing to donate to the cause. :rock:

I might have to start looking for redundant telephony forums out there in the clockwork universe and see if there are any friendly dinosaurs willing to donate to the cause. :rock:

If you find it's a bantam and you want one of those I might be able to see what I can find at work. I don't nick biros and staplers etc, so it's about time I balanced things out.

If you find it's a bantam and you want one of those I might be able to see what I can find at work. I don't nick biros and staplers etc, so it's about time I balanced things out.

Dig Pls :)

Hi, could be similar to what we have in work for headsets. I'll have a look on Tuesday. Pretty sure we have spares..

Did you get it sorted? Our headsets use 4 pole connectors..

Lorenzo looks to have come up trumps thanks matey.

Knowing my luck though the post office will probably send it to Venezuela <_<

I'll drop you a line if I'm stuck :tacheemoticonwh7:

Archived