Sandy bike spares VS Motad

madmike

Picking the 600F up next week and the first things to do are stainless system, air filter and carbs set up, Now...

Sandy bike spares are offering these and Motad, these

Motad only do the header system for £240 ex. VAT and Sandy do the header system for £153 and a full system including the pipe for £255, My plan was to buy the can from Fuel so I'll probably only go for the header system.

Curiously wondering if Sandy is cheaper for a reason? :D

I think the Sandy stuff is the same as Delkevic stuff, and made overseas. The Motad stuff is made in Britain.

edit- Also, the Sandy ones don't have balance pipes between the headers :P

I fitted a Motad stainless system to the VFR with no problems at all. Dad has had a lot of trouble getting his system from Sandy's to fit his ST1100 Pan. May not be true for all bike types but that is just my experience. My money would be going on the Motad exhaust.

I've bought Motad in the past, and bought bikes with them on, and have never been happy with the quality, TBH.

Plenty people I know have bought the Sandy / Delkevic pipes and been happy with them.

Yeah I have read about alot of people having trouble to get the headers from sandy's to fit, I'm definitely willing to pay the extra if it will be better

It's not just the fit, the Sandys ones won't work as well without the balance pipes.

It's not just the fit, the Sandys ones won't work as well without the balance pipes.

This is the information I was after! :icon_pale:

Thanks to everyone for helping with this, I'm more confident now putting down bigger money knowing that its worth it!

Roll on summer! :thumbsup:

Do you really need replacement headers? Sure they look nice, but the ones you've mentioned are copies of the standard pipes in stainless, so unless the existing ones are blowing/heavily corroded you could save a wad of cash by just tarting them up with some bbq paint.

If you're going to go for a full replacement system, air filter and dyno setup it's probably worth keeping an eye out on ebay for a decent second hand exhaust from arrow/Micron etc or whatever is supposed to work well with those engines.

I'd be all about tidying them up for the short term and buying a decent system for it for the long term. Asking which is best between sandy and motad is like asking for a decision between being poked in the eye and stung by a bee.

Well its definitely long term! Even if the current system isn't blowing or corroded I'd rather replace it to know I won't have to fork out at a later date when it does start blowing as this is the only time I will have the money available

What year is you CBR, 'cos here is a set of Micron headers for the earlier models.

Or this one is (supposedly) a full Termi system.

Although for the same cost as doing the above properly you could get the suspension refreshed and stick a loud pipe on, and the bike would probably ride a lot nicer :rock:

The year is 95! to be honest, I'm not after a loud pipe, I want to keep it as original as possible but I just don't like the standard matte black pipe, the only pipe I'm really interested in is the stainless oval fuel one, as banoffee informed me, you can order them without a logo so that will keep it looking tidy and the stainless headers are just to stop the corrosion as the bike is my main form of transport, after getting all that sorted, suspension refresh is definitely on the cards! :rock:

Where/who/what Do you recommend to get the suspension sorted?

If you just want to preserve the standard downpipes then have a look at getting them to camcoat; they'll increase your power a tiny weeny bit, keep heat away from other bits and be rustproofed. They do a 'ceramachrome' which is similar to stainless until you get close, plus I don't think it'll go yellow like stainless will. Plus it's cheaper than new headers.

As for suspension, you've got both Maxton and Kais on your doorstep, Maxton are very good but not cheap, I'm not a big fan of kais. Or you could send them to somebody like reactive suspension, who are really good people to deal with.

Just a quick line to say that I've fitted Motad down-pipes to two Fireblades, and they went on without a hitch. Each time there was a different end-can and they went on fine too.

I've not tried Sandy Bike down-pipes.

As for suspension, you've got both Maxton and Kais on your doorstep, Maxton are very good but not cheap, I'm not a big fan of kais. Or you could send them to somebody like reactive suspension, who are really good people to deal with.

Ok cool, I've done loads of work to my bikes over the past couple of years but something I've never come near properly is the suspension, I presume I'd just put my forks in for some fresh oil and new internals? based on my weight etc? and the rear for a refresh? from what I can gather, or am I far off? lol :rolleyes:

Just a quick line to say that I've fitted Motad down-pipes to two Fireblades, and they went on without a hitch. Each time there was a different end-can and they went on fine too.

I've not tried Sandy Bike down-pipes.

Thanks! :mad:

Ok cool, I've done loads of work to my bikes over the past couple of years but something I've never come near properly is the suspension, I presume I'd just put my forks in for some fresh oil and new internals? based on my weight etc? and the rear for a refresh? from what I can gather, or am I far off? lol :(

In a nutshell, yes. What you might get is new springs either front and/or rear, but when it comes to revalving stuff then the price tends to go up a bit. Ring a few people, see who you like the sound of over the phone, see who seems willing to listen to what you want, my experience with kais left me a bit miffed, my suspension was rock solid which isn't what I'd describe as a road with occasional track type of set-up.

Fitted a set of Sandy Bikes headers to a Fazer 600 a couple of years ago, they were a good fit apart from just touching the centre stand mounts slightly, which once fettled(the mounts!) with a grinder wasn't an issue. The downpipes were a slightly bigger bore than the oem pipes which when coupled with the Bos can sounded awesome and the bike ran perfectly.

There was an article in CMM the other month about MOTAD, went to the factory etc. Seem like they know what they`re doing. In there words, they don`t produce exhausts which make more power, they produce exhausts that don`t lose power, and fit well. There were parts of it on about some chinese made systems for a z650 (?), they`ve got the small balance pipes between the headers too. The chinese thought that these were just spacers so made there systems with a piece of angle iron between the pipes.....needless to say they didn`t perform very well.

I`d go MOTAD, British made, quality fit, and excellent back up by the sounds of it. After all, I don`t think you`d get too much joy trying to explain that your flange diameter is 2 mm out when talking to Hong Ping at the factory..

Mike, micron's of that era are, quite frankly, shite.

I'd be tempted to contact the seller of this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR600-91-98-F...-EXHAUST-SYSTEM to confirm it is a full Termignoni system and in good condition, and ask him if it's stainless steel.

If it is, snatch his fucking hand off. :thumbsup:

Mike, micron's of that era are, quite frankly, shite.

I'd be tempted to contact the seller of this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR600-91-98-F...-EXHAUST-SYSTEM to confirm it is a full Termignoni system and in good condition, and ask him if it's stainless steel.

If it is, snatch his fucking hand off. :eusa_dance:

One possible problem with this system may be that its been designed to work best on a full race motor. On a stock engine it may cause flatspots or move the power to the top of the rev range. It may not be what the OP is looking for.

The main reason I want to change the system is that I can keep the original somewhere safe so if a magazine ever wants a 600F I'll have a nice standard exhaust to slip on if needs be! And obviously to free my mind of constant worry that the rain and shit on the roads isn't ruining my bike as much (its my main form of transport) I'm not after any real HP gains, just piece of mind that the whole system is set up properly, it would be nice for bragging rights but I'm in the novice group on track days and I rarely give it beans on the road, 90-100bhp is fine for me ta!

Archived