cleaning advice

Guest bikertiger

Guest bikertiger

Ok. I seem to be forever spending money on cleaning stuff

So lay it out for me.

What do I need form cloths to brushs

Muc off kit for the general body work? , what about cleaning the chain?

Ideas. Off to halfords later

Some shower gel, some deodorant and some aftershave balm. It's all you need....

I'm not one of these guys who takes forever making a really thorough job on things, but I'd go with as big a can of gunk/degreaser as you can buy, the foamy version's best for most stuff, a can of brake cleaner and a can of chain cleaner, 3 or 4 firm but as cheap as possible toothbrushes, I also like the special chain cleaner brush I got from Hunts (come round this morning, you can borrow that if you want), then some half decent soapy stuff for most of the body once you've degreased everywhere (again, I've got a bit of a surplus of this, so bring a rucksack thingy). Finally I'd use a bit of wax. I've got some wax (again, you can borrow this if you come round) that's ideal for this time of year because it goes on when the bike's still damp. Trying to dry a bike to wax it when it's coldish out is nigh on impossible, this wax does the job more or less as well as really good wax that you'd put on dry, but it's shit loads easier to do in winter.

I'm going to be in until about 11am so nip round if you want to borrow anything. After that burglars are welcome.

Guest bikertiger
Some shower gel, some deodorant and some aftershave balm. It's all you need....

I'm not one of these guys who takes forever making a really thorough job on things, but I'd go with as big a can of gunk/degreaser as you can buy, the foamy version's best for most stuff, a can of brake cleaner and a can of chain cleaner, 3 or 4 firm but as cheap as possible toothbrushes, I also like the special chain cleaner brush I got from Hunts (come round this morning, you can borrow that if you want), then some half decent soapy stuff for most of the body once you've degreased everywhere (again, I've got a bit of a surplus of this, so bring a rucksack thingy). Finally I'd use a bit of wax. I've got some wax (again, you can borrow this if you come round) that's ideal for this time of year because it goes on when the bike's still damp. Trying to dry a bike to wax it when it's coldish out is nigh on impossible, this wax does the job more or less as well as really good wax that you'd put on dry, but it's shit loads easier to do in winter.

I'm going to be in until about 11am so nip round if you want to borrow anything. After that burglars are welcome.

shopping list made! Off to halfords. My brakes are sticking and could probably do with coming off. But that would require tools.....one step at a time.....I'll try to ride round. Sweet

Oh heard parafin was good for chain cleaning?

shopping list made! Off to halfords. My brakes are sticking and could probably do with coming off. But that would require tools.....one step at a time.....I'll try to ride round. Sweet

Oh heard parafin was good for chain cleaning?

Get over here pronto and you can use whatever tools you need but like I say, I'm off out in a bit. Buy a tin of brake cleaner though, I'm low on that I think. Parafin's OK for chain cleaning and it's quite cheap, but chain cleaner's better, or brake cleaner for that matter, it just costs a bit more.

Archived