brake piston 'helper'

kanerdog1x1

ok, christmas been and gone, and were now in the weird bit between then and the new year. awkward because i have to take time off work, and i get very bored. the weather isnt good, i dont mind it cold, i just dont like it when it rains.

so, iv got to keep busy doing something.

inspired by mark whites(of this parish) home-made brake piston 'helper' that was featured in the mag a few eons ago, i have had a go at making my own. armed with little more than some metal, tools, and a 'good idea' i have just about finished it. and then the camera goes flat......

so i will post some pics and result tomorrow when i have had the chance to test it. ;)

rite, fotos as promised. firstly in component form. the piston is from a rear brake slave cylinder from a fiesta i think.

helper008.jpg

and built up. the hose is spare from my ducati from when i changed the brakes. good new home im sure youll agree.

helper009.jpg

and a terrible pic from use. sorry.

helper010.jpg

:ph34r:

not air, but brake fluid or water. water is relatively clean, but brake fluid although messy is non corrosive towards the brake caliper so is the better choice. even if there is air in the caliper this is quickly compressed by the sheer volume of fluid that the tool moves. believe me, it works well.

as i see it you now have 2 options, option 1 is make and sell either through this here forum (preferably with a discount for members) or option 2 which would be a full how to and parts list. cos i well want one!

as i see it you now have 2 options, option 1 is make and sell either through this here forum (preferably with a discount for members) or option 2 which would be a full how to and parts list. cos i well want one!

+1

I made something to do the same job but a much simpler.

You drill a hole down the banjo bolt, solder in schreader valve, bolt this into the caliper and pump it up and out the piston comes. Easy to do and only took five minutes to make. You could use a grease nipple instead to do it.

Having said that yours looks much nicer.

cheers guys. the only problem with compressed air is that it compresses(!) and wont always get the piston free. and if you have to put alot of pressure in when the piston does eventually let go you get a fairly big bang and potentially a piston in the face. the hydraulic action means that you just get a nice slow, controlled action.

hmmm, action.

cheers guys. the only problem with compressed air is that it compresses(!) and wont always get the piston free. and if you have to put alot of pressure in when the piston does eventually let go you get a fairly big bang and potentially a piston in the face. the hydraulic action means that you just get a nice slow, controlled action.

hmmm, action.

Well, I never realised it before, but removing a stuck brake piston is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.... :lol:

Archived