Lightweight Battery

Devon

A Dewalt DC9280 has 8 A123 LiFePO4 cells in it. They're 3.3v, 2300maH. These batteries lose 1% of their charge a year, if unused. Voltage stays near perfect until it's just about dead. 4 cell is 300 grams.

Get your DC9280, and crack it open. Note that the 8 cells are wired in series. Chop it where the first 4 meets the second 4 (The connections between the batteries are a sheet metal stip, you can even use a beasty pair of scissors to cut it, but be careful not to short the cells out as the entire outer skin of the cell is the negative terminal). Once you've done that, get a 100W or greater soldering iron, solder on some cable, and you're done.

One piece of superlight battery. Do the same with the other 4 cells, and you've got two batteries.

dewalt.jpg

just to add you could run the 2 sets of 4 cells in parallel and double the capacity, im thinking of doing this for my vfr, what sort of cca do they put out and how long is it sustainable for?

been looking at just buying cells to do this instead of a battery that seems bloody expensive, but they say they can only be charged up to 1000 times and that to get the best out of them they should be ballenced, which basically means charging each cell individually, can anyone shed some more light on this as it don't seem as cheap as buying a light weight battery anymore.

like most web advice it depends on who you ask, on another site i found a thread that was using cr123a cells four in a row and 2 or 3 rows that was starting a sp1, so it invariably has enough cca's but im worried about the life expectancy of the battery pack and the charging circuit, its something i would love to do on the viffer so she could loose a bit more weight but untill i have more details its an idea that might not make it to the bike. what i want to know is what sort of life expectancy it will have and am i looking at replacing the rest of my charging system to cope, if so then its more work than i'd like to do with sparky bits.

Not worth the effort, I am afraid. At 1.2 volts per cell, they'll be either NiCd or NiMH, neither of which are suitable for bike charging systems. Plus you'd need 22 of them to get 13.2V and 2600 mAh, which is the absolute minimum to make a barely useful bike battery.

Archived