Running a bike without a battery

Tomfoolery

You need a condensator, used for MX/enduro bikes but that won't give you the oppertunity to run lights. You could also run a speedcell/durbahn/other make LiFE battery, you would only need a four cell and you could easily run light (and even a starter)

Ronni

My old CRM had no battery, a kickstarter and lights that worked.

Can't remember exactly what you need, but thought it was a capacitor or something to store up a bit of charge for that initial kick - after that everything is powered off the alternator.

(I don't know if this would fuck the bike, but can't think of any reason why it would) Have you tried taking the battery out, completing the circuit between the +ve and -ve and then kick/bump-starting it to see if it will?

My cg started with no battery (not on the electric.) try disconnecting it and see if it'll run, that's all mine had. The lights and stuff worked, but you may not get indicators to flash at idle.

The word in condensor (often known as a capacitor), not condensator, that's something to keep mist off your windows. What happens is that your bike will produce AC, your reg/rec will turn that into a series of DC humps, and normally your battery would be charged off these humps and your bike would have smooth DC from the battery, hencer a steady indicator flash, decent spark etc. In short your bike needs a fairly fixed level of DC. A capacitor would help smooth off these humps, so it looks more like a battery, to all intents and purposes. I'm not going through shit loads of folders to find out what sort of size etc you want, but you can buy them fairly readily for MX bikes, as has been mentioned. personally, I'd do all the mods you want in terms of the mechanics of the bike, make sure it starts really easily first time, then last of all remove the battery. Fault finding without a battery is shit.

Archived