Bike pulls to the right...

EXJ10R

Having a small issue with my 08 Fireblade, noticed it on sunday while out with mates. Riding Along a straight bit of road took hands off bars to adjust cuff straps and the bike pulled to the right, thought nothing of it until I got home and thought "I'll try it again" and it still pulled over, feels fine otherwise, although now being paranoid it feels better in the R/H turns instead of L/H turns. Checked forks etc and also to see that all the adjusters on the front suspension were equal.

Any ideas?

Check that your chain alignment is spot on / wheels are parallel to each other. Also if you have taken your rear wheel off recently, are the spacers thr right way round - don't ask how i know :D

Having a small issue with my 08 Fireblade, noticed it on sunday while out with mates. Riding Along a straight bit of road took hands off bars to adjust cuff straps and the bike pulled to the right, thought nothing of it until I got home and thought "I'll try it again" and it still pulled over, feels fine otherwise, although now being paranoid it feels better in the R/H turns instead of L/H turns. Checked forks etc and also to see that all the adjusters on the front suspension were equal.

Any ideas?

get straight edge out and check wheels are in line. Most probably in your head. I ended up swapping swingarms on a gixer once thinking it pulled and was just the same. Wont stop you thinking about it though. aah the wonder of bike ownership

get straight edge out and check wheels are in line. Most probably in your head. I ended up swapping swingarms on a gixer once thinking it pulled and was just the same. Wont stop you thinking about it though. aah the wonder of bike ownership

I'll have to try that, I take it any old 'straight' piece of timber will suffice?

I'll have to try that, I take it any old 'straight' piece of timber will suffice?

i use a big fuck off spirit level, but a good straight bit of timber may do. someone will be along shortly to advise some method of building a professional laser guided job from the contents of your cutlery drawer

Sticking brake pads on the right hand side? Maybe just the weight of the exhaust, that's on the right, yes? Of course it could just be the natural camber of the road, it rises in the middle, wouldn't that give the slight effect of making the bike turn to the right?

To be honest, I have no clue if any of these would contribute- I'm just throwing out ideas here...

i use a big fuck off spirit level, but a good straight bit of timber may do. someone will be along shortly to advise some method of building a professional laser guided job from the contents of your cutlery drawer

Being a timber bloke make sure it's not warped or bowed, it happens real easy with certain wood and looks ok until you put it against something properly straight (like a big fuck off spirit level!). And don't trust the alignment marks on the swingarm unless you've checked the wheels with some form of straight edge, I had a cbr where the marks were out quite a lot and had to put my own on, even the mighty Honda can get things wrong sometimes!

No master plan about laser guided goodies, but you can use some pieces of string, a tape measure and a ruler if needs be, but it's a fiddly bastard job!

Riding fooked bikes certainly sharpens your skills though, cos if it doesn't you crash :icon_blackeye:

as per the last reply. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, trust the alignment marks on the swing arm, they are utterly useless(dont know what they do at the factory). i put a nice shiny renthall rear sprocket on my yzf750, adjusted the chain to the marks either side, went to mallory park(from cheltenham), did a track day. a few days later(after riding the bike to work and back), i noticed really excessive wear to the sprocket, FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. i thought it was a friday afternoon job and a bad batch. good job then that i took it to my local yam shop(before i rang up renthall to make a right knob of myself)to check and straight away he asked me did adjust it to the marks?..............uhh.....yea, ahh, thats the problem then, he got the fancy alignment tool out. only about 30mm out from the rear to the front!!!??? why dont we know these things in the first place?? only experience i guess.

You can check your alignment with a peice of string. Tie it round the front wheel, pull it round the back wheel, right round the back of it, and then bring it back to the other side of the front wheel to where to started and pull it tight. Make sure your bars are straight. You should be able to see any misalignment fairly easily. If it's not this, then it could well be worn tyres (been roundabout surfing?), iffy camber in the road or maybe you've got a massive right ear acting as a sail? Just to clarify, it won't be your brakes on one side binding on: As the brakes are affecting the wheel which is (hopefully) central, then the braking effect is central, hence 125 GP bikes, with only 1 brake disc, don't pull to one side when they slow down. That's not to say your brakes aren't binding, fuck knows, I'm not a telepath, but they're not pulling it to one side.

Check the forks aren't twisted.

Use one of those laser alignment tools for the chain they're about £50 which isn't funny but they're better than the swingarm marks. I got one for the Bimota ... because they don't have swingarm marks at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived