Which radial master cylinder for 4xv R1??

exuprob

Want to uprate the brakes on my '99 R1. Ive already got Galfer disc's, EBC hh pads and braided lines but I'm wondering if a radial master cylinder will give an improvement.

Problem I have is plenty of power but not much lever travel or feel. Its like tweaking a housebrick when I brake.

Anyone done this swap and if so, which master cyl did you fit and what was it from?

Cheers in advance.

I fitted a Brembo 19x20 m/c to mine and it made a hell of a difference. I use Goodridge lines and PF95 pads although I wouldn't use them on the road. EBC HH more than good enough for the road (and some track use) though.

One set of my wheels has Braking Wave disks and the other has standard disks. The Brembo seems to work well with both of them.

Bare in mind that your standard m/c will be up to 12 years old and it may just be a case of getting it serviced, new seals, etc.

The cheaper answer is to get your original one rebuilt and see how that feels, if your feeling flush you could put an adjustable ratio master on and adjust it to your personal feel.

I've found that Yamahas often have rock hard brake levers, I assume this is what you mean by the tweaking a brick bit? The other end of the spectrum is a ZX10R lever, which is fairly squidgey in comparison. I've also tried a radial one off a 'blade, one of the earlier 1000's, and that was quite nice, a reasonable compromise, but still on the slightly soft side. I'm currently trying to rebuild a broken R1 master, off one of the bikes just before it went to the cross plane crank, I'm not sure how this is going to be, but I'm guessing typical yamaha firmness will be the order of the day.

Personally, if yours is to firm, I don't think a rebuild will help you much, if anything you're only going to have an even firmer lever there. What you want to do is perhaps take a look at the bore size and compare from one bore to another to try and acheive your braking nirvana. Radial or otherwise, assuming all master cylinders are of a similar age and condition, the bore will be the crucial thing that determines how it feels and what kind of firmness and overall power you get. Another thing with a radial master cylinder is that you may have some issue with it hitting the clocks at full lock as they almost always stick out a good bit further forwards.

Editted to add: The lastest R1 has 6 pot calipers, not 4 pot like yours, so the bore will be a good bit different to one off a 4 pot bike.

Archived