Running in, sudden improvement after 12k miles

tonk

Not a problem, more of an observation - unusual enough to comment on. I've had my K1200S from new and it's up to 12,000 miles now give or take a few. A 12k service is booked for next week so I know that isn't the cause...

Within the last 100 or so miles there has been a staggering improvement in the engine and gearbox. I haven't made any changes whatsoever. The gearbox has always been a bit clunky, esp neutral to 1st, 1st to second but now it is so smooth. I don't get it. I'm not complaining but what on earth has happened? (neutral to 1st is still like a tractor)

It's like creamy yumminess right up to the limiter now too and snicks perfectly through the box on the way there. It flies!

It was no slouch before but now it is amazing. It will hit 150mph as quick and easy as it used to get to 120 before, on my driveway.

Any ideas? Is it about to go bang?!! If it isn't I am never selling it ( *pushes S1000RR brochure under cushion*)

Not usre if its Urban Myth, but I had a Nissan Almera company car years ago, that twice seemed to suddenly improve. The first was at precisely 1000km, the second was at either 6 or 10000km. When I mentioned this to the garage, the mechanic said that there were pre-programmed maps that altered at specific mileages.

I know for a fact that the car was considerably more lively at 1001 km that it was at 999km.

Sounds odd Jaycee, can't see the thinking behind that. I had an identical bike before this one but it passed 6k, 12k and 18k without such jumps, although there was an overall gradual improvement, which is to be expected.

On my first K12 I had 6 maps in 2 years, while they used us as guinea-pigs. This is still on the original map from new (you get a print-out with the ECU firmware version every service. Not to mention the sneaky stuff [ABS activation for 0.75s at 1522hrs on 1/4/09 for example]).

Perhaps its secret bMW loyalty thing. If you prove yourself worthy of being a proper, loyal owner, as opposed to a fashion victim, then they reward you with your bike's full potential!

This may be a complete figment of my imagination :eusa_whistle:

Perhaps its secret bMW loyalty thing. If you prove yourself worthy of being a proper, loyal owner, as opposed to a fashion victim, then they reward you with your bike's full potential!

This may be a complete figment of my imagination :eusa_whistle:

Like Forza 3? Ha, downloadable content for gold membership!

Like I say I'm not complaining but I've been around engines long enough for this to seem surprising.

sometimes my bike feels better on some days than toher days. Air temp, humidity, how hard I've been riding and other stuff I suspect are all responsible for my gearbox behaving and my engine not bogging down when I ask for some powweerrrr

Maybe you're just having a good day, and tomorrow service as normal will be resumed...

I get days like that too, esp cold, damp mornings and evenings. But this is consistent, as if its been tuned. They'll probably ruin it at the service next week :(

yeah well known fact that the cooler the air going in the more power coming out, read somewhere about if you can drop the charge temp by 12 deg then you should see a 5% improvement in power (thing it was the haynes engine management manuel), its basically because colder air is denser and therefore contains more oxygen (i think) also a lot of tuning bods are moving away from polishing inlet tracts, instead they are leaving them rough (have heard of one firm who are trying to rifle the intakes to create a vortex!) they do that because turbulant air moves faster and it mixes with the fuel better and gives a better burn, like putting dimples on a golf ball (although it dont make it burn any better). of course i may be talking bollox but thats a chance you'll have to take.

• 2 weeks later...
The GS' use different oil after a certain mileage - could be that?

It did have mineral oil just for 600 miles Tom but that it's been on semi-synthetic ever since. It's in for a 12k service tomorrow inc. an oil change, I'll have a natter with the service manager. I suppose really knackered oil might give a power-boost, albeit at a terrible cost in the long-run. Once the warranty period is over I think I'll start dropping the oil more frequently.

That was my warped thinking - watery oil, less viscous - more power. But it had it's service yesterday and I'm happy to report it is just as funky! They didn't have a clue about the change but just said it would always get nicer with time, even up to 18,000 miles, as long as it was serviced and maintained.

I can't believe that you havent worked this out yet! You have obviously been visited by Die BMW Zauberkraft Feen, or the BMW Magic Power Fairies. These little chaps are distant relations to the Dark Alfa Romeo Rust Goblins, but unlike their Italian cousins they don't romp around your vehicle in the middle of the night and bestow it with a smattering of mystical iron oxide. Instead, they bear magical gifts of speed, power, responsiveness and a silky smooth engine and gearbox. The only catch is that your firstborn son will have to marry the daughter of the chief fairy and live forever as one of them. Not a massive loss though as this in turn entitles you to discounted BMW branded clothing.

So rejoice, and revel in your bike's new supernatural abilities. Don't forget to repeat before each ride three times "I do believe in fairies..."

I can't believe that you havent worked this out yet! You have obviously been visited by Die BMW Zauberkraft Feen, or the BMW Magic Power Fairies. These little chaps are distant relations to the Dark Alfa Romeo Rust Goblins, but unlike their Italian cousins they don't romp around your vehicle in the middle of the night and bestow it with a smattering of mystical iron oxide. Instead, they bear magical gifts of speed, power, responsiveness and a silky smooth engine and gearbox. The only catch is that your firstborn son will have to marry the daughter of the chief fairy and live forever as one of them. Not a massive loss though as this in turn entitles you to discounted BMW branded clothing.

So rejoice, and revel in your bike's new supernatural abilities. Don't forget to repeat before each ride three times "I do believe in fairies..."

:D:icon_blackeye: you nutcase!

Archived