Using an impact wrench?

johnny

I've gone and bought myself an electric impact wrench for changing my chain and sprockets and just thought I'd check on the correct way of using it. 

With the bike up on a paddock stand ready to loosen the front sprocket nut should it be in neutral, in gear, back brake on/off? I was going to do this on my own tomorrow but if the rear brake needs to be applied I would need to get the Mrs involved this afternoon.

From what I gather from a bit of googling I should be alright in neutral and the wrench sorts it out but thought I'd get a second opinion on here.

Many thanks.

if its powerfull enough it sould undo it in nutral,if not drop the bike on to its standleave it in nutral and the bikes wheight will hold the the chaine if this does not work,then get some one to aply the rear break.

hope this helps

Wrap a crowbar in a tea towel and put it through the rear wheel so that it braces a spoke against the swingarm. Job's a good 'un :thumbsup:

All done. Got the Mrs to sit on the bike with all the brakes on while I attacked the nut. Took a few goes with the wrench to get the sucker off. Either I was being too ginger or it was done up to about 500nm, probably a bit of both.

All sorted now for a new chain and sprocket sometime this week.

Archived