Power commander help...

burntout

Installed the PCIII back into the R1 I just bought expecting it to run real sweet with the map he had installed and set up, not the case. Really rough idling and stalled on me once on a test ride, so I figured I'd check the map is correct.

"I'm a moto GP mechanic" I thought as I connected the PCIII to the lap top. I had everything prepared, fag rolled, two tins of stella, laptop and software....sorted right?

Turns out the 03 R1 doesn't supply power to the unit with the engine off and I dont have the 9v power adapter. So I started her up with the power commander connected and it came up with a nice display showing revs and throttle position but it also say "no map" at the bottom.

Whaaa?! Where's the frikkin map?

I'm new to Power commanders (as my RSV ran two fuelling maps on the ECU as standard and was carbed before that - R6, NC35, KR1S) so would appreciate some help here.

He has given me the custom map but it's on a fucking floppy disc. A floppy fucking disc of all things - I dont own a floppy drive. Sure, a floppy dick, but not a floppy drive.

So....I've downloaded a load of maps from the website but how do I get the required one on to the bike without the power adapter?

Is anyone out there able to lend me the adapter for a week so I can get it sorted before the dyno run on Friday? It's tricky to ride when it keeps stalling.

Appreciate any help on this one guys - so share your wealth of knowledge and then lets get a detailed article in the next PB please!!!

Right, I think I just transferred a new map to the bike but still she idles rough.

When I hit "get map" with the engine running it came up with "stock bike, filter" etc, so I guess it would have been plenty lean, but still, with the "new map" the idle aint right.

the PC website have two suitable maps - one saying "European model with Akro can" and the other just "akro can" etc so may try the latter instead.

Ran lovely before switching pipe and PC.

hmm. no idea dude. but i have just fitted a pc111 and filter on my 2007 r1. seems to idle ok. going to give it a test run tomorrow. the power commander came from ebay and the chap had akros and a filter on his R1 so hope its ok.

Have you disconnected the O2 sensor?

You need to disconnect it so it'll run right with the PC3 fitted.

No I've not. There's no mention of this on the website or instructions.

Will this come up with an error code for the O2 sensor? Also - where is the o2 sensor?

No I've not. There's no mention of this on the website or instructions.

Will this come up with an error code for the O2 sensor? Also - where is the o2 sensor?

I'm not 100% sure for your R1 but on my FZ1 and R1 you had to disconnect it. You sometimes get something to plug into the O2 sensor plug to fool it into thinking it's still connected and stop the light from coming on.

The O2 sensor is in the exhaust, usually somewhere just before the link pipe for the silencer. If you find the sensor, just follow the wires back up to the first plug you come to and disconnect it!

Seems my 03 doesn't have an O2 sensor (or lambda if you will) in the exhaust.

I know what I'm looking for as the RSV had one but this doesn't have anything and no mention nor sign of one in the Haynes manual either.

I switched map to another one on the Dynojet website but she still idles a little rough. I've had a beer now but if the weather holds out tomorrow I'll take her out for a spin and see if that works and in the mean time see if anyone I know has a floppy drive I can use to get the custom map put on to it.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a pain in the ass.

More thoughts welcome........

My old man has a floppy drive on his PC so I'll be getting the custom map back off the disc and trying that first. Definitely didn't catch any lines but if the custom map doesn't work tomorrow I'll be switching it to a zero map and seeing what that is like before removing the unit and testing again.

It ran perfectly on the way home from picking it up as stock....I suspect I just need the specific map for this bike as a generic one may not allow for slight variations in my particular bike.

Thanks for the replies - further updates tomorrow....after I've fitted the front braided hoses as well.

So much for a relaxing sunday.

Got the custom map on there from the floppy disc and it seems to be running much nicer, took it out for an hour and it showed no signs of trying to stall on idle so happy days all round.

Archived