Powertool Batteries

Hendo

The batteries on my drill are just about had it now (5 years old, non lithium type).

Ive noticed people are buying faulty batteries on ebay, which leads me to my next question -

Is there some way of fixing them? As people are obviously buying them.

Im a bit reluctant to fork out £100+ on 2 new batteries for a 5 year old drill...

TIA

Andy

Sure its the batteries and not the charger...?

GD

The batteries do charge up, but just dont hold it very long. I.E if I charged them up tonight, come tommorrow they wouldnt be very good. Use them straight away and they are fine.

Andy

Some older style power-packs used multiple C-cell Ni-Cad batteries , soldered in series .

It was sometimes possible to break the case of the battery pack open and build a new "battery" and solder it into the original case.

But I've just looked and it seems Ni-Cads that size are NLA .

Now it might be that your drill used Li-Ions , so you may be in luck .

I don't know if you stick Li-Ions in where there used to be Ni-Cads if the charger will work properly or knacker the batteries ?

Just Googled this .

Also found THIS . and if you leave the page long enough a pop-up offers you an extra 5% off !

I can confirm that they are NI-cad batteries.

However Ive got a couple of much newer good ones from a lad at work now, for £20. I love a bargain I do.

Drill is away getting fixed. Isnt it funny how Im refurbishing my 5 year old bosch instead of using my 2.5 year old makita, its fucking shite (and for sale if anyones after it!)

All sorted now cheers.

Andy

I think thats down to the brand. I sware by Bosch stuff, i had a 24 volt black and decker and bought a 12 volt bosch professional and its twice the drill even though only half the voltage!

I have the 24v bosch proffessional and the 36v bosch professional battery SDS. £800 tied up in 2 drills.

The proffessional range gives you 3 years no questions asked warranty (parts and labour) aswell. Worth every penny.

Bosch FTW!

Andy

• 5 weeks later...
The batteries on my drill are just about had it now (5 years old, non lithium type).

Ive noticed people are buying faulty batteries on ebay, which leads me to my next question -

Is there some way of fixing them? As people are obviously buying them.

Im a bit reluctant to fork out £100+ on 2 new batteries for a 5 year old drill...

TIA

Andy

you can use a stick welder by putting the clamp of the welder on the negative and striking the rod (very quickly on and off) on to positive terminal on the battery a few times.

Archived