Which Carb Tuner?

buster

There should be an old thread on this...I was looking and used that guide. Basically, the mercury tube display is the easiest to actually tune to -but because they arn't adjustable, I wasen't so keen. Someone on here pointed out their cheapo set was adjustable, so I got a set of them. They are harder to use on that the display is a dial rather than a tube, so small differences are harder to spot. Their point was that you can use one cylinder, and adjust all the dials to the same setting -effectively zeroing the displays.

I looked at the expensive kit...usually they say they are 'set from the factory'. So I'm pleased I went with the cheapo set.

Who uses what carb tuner and why?

Dial Gauge or Mercury tube? Pro's and con's?

I've used my Carbtune 2 gauges for about ten years now - they paid for themselves after the second use. I've saved many hundreds of pounds using them over the years & I get to understand changes to how my bikes feel over time.

It uses stainless steel rods which slide up & down plastic tubes - sturdy, accurate & easy to use - you can buy one with 2 or 4 gauges - mine has 4 because most of my bikes have had 4 cylinder engines.

I've got the Carbtune 4 tube, excellent piece of kit. You can't get the mercury ones any more, it's either because you're not allowed to post mercury or they're not allowed to make the tuners with it, I can't remember which.

Either way, if you get the 4-tube version you can still set up twins or triples with it as the tubes aren't connected to each other.

I've ordered myself a Carbtune 4, and am hoping it's going to arrive this week, valve clearances and carb balancing will be the order of the day for my week off.

Archived