Top yoke finish

szrdave

Before I got it some idiot has been riding my SZR with a bunch of keys on the keyring.

The resulting circle of scratches on the top yoke look shit, so any tips on the options to re-finish it?

It's currently bare aluminium, I'd rather not paint or polish it so a nice matt/satin/factory looking finish is what I'm after.

*Edit - Only basic tools and household products are available*

medium scotch bright pad,but be carfull to get frub the yokes in a stright line across the pad so all the lines will be the lenght of the yokes,then 1k laquer over them.

i renovated an rc30 that had the same problem,i removed the yoke and a mate with a precision engineering business milled a little off the face then i just kept it polished. though you may want to either anodize or clear lacquer.

Green scotchbrite, on a worktop, and rub the surface of the yoke on it. It helps to use a little WD40 too. Moving the yoke over the scotchbrite (rather than the scotchbrite over the yoke) helps keep the lines even and straight :icon_blackeye:

Before:

IMAG0057.jpg

After:

IMAG0067.jpg

The existing surface finish proved pretty tough to remove, so far it's just had a good going-over with course aluminium oxide paper. A bit more is needed, but the finish looks pretty good so far. And the circular marks have gone :icon_blackeye:

Archived