Kawasaki KX500

Kawasakifreak

I'm looking into hill climbing next year & I want to do it on a 2-stroke.

I'm a big Kawasaki fan so I would like to hear from anyone whose had a KX500 crosser &/or done any mods to improve them for tarmac ?

I've thought about a 250 but I'm 6' 7" & weigh 20 stone so I think I'll stick to the 500.

I think a KX500 held the record at Wiscombe for a few years.

Bit of an animal if they're anything like CR500s

Use caution :(

Yep - got that from a few others too.

Moto-x,its more fun that way as its only gear`d for about 65-70 mph so it wants to wheelie everywhere!!.Ive got a 620 ktm for tarmac fun...

There are two KX500s in the NHCA championship at the moment. They're quick machines. Good enough to get into the top five at most tracks.

You'll get plenty of help at the NHCA forum www.nhca.co.uk

B

Get the gearbox checked Kx500 as have chocolate boxes sadly( the weak link), they make great power and parts are easy to get due to service honda sticking the engines into alloy frames now (can get new anypart).

looking forward to the build thread

they make awesome hillclimbers/ road Sm bikes

Mr T Hill Climbed his CR500 a few years back and it was a bit of a weapon

Set up for Supermoto he would just look into the jetting depending on the above sea level heights and would make adjustments though the day. The Supermoto style bikes always did really well in each class where we do hill climbing

Port Talbot Motorcycle Racing Club

PICT0038-1.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

5.jpg

PICT0078-1.jpg

PICT0082-1.jpg

PICT0086-1.jpg

A good load of weight over the front never managed to stop it wheelieing! or for that fact the TDR250 either

Mr T is 6ft4" and 80 kilos and the TDR is fine with him

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for input from everyone - shit I need to lose some weight !

Hill climbing is a good home for the larger gentleman, and even with my planned winter diet and fitness hopes I expect to be over 16 stone by the start of next season. They also sell pies at the meetings :icon_salut:

I used to compete against a nice KX500 regularly in hill climbs, and rode it at one (a twisty sprint, doing standing start laps at Cadwell Park).

It was class winningly quick (in its owners hands) and posted similar times to my XR650 SM (mildly fettled) and Husaberg 650SM, but I found it a lot harder to ride (if faster on the straights) when I had a go.

The main reason I would not have wanted to swap my 4 Strokes for it were reliability based, but it was fairly highly tuned.

I'm not sure a standard one would be fast enough to compete for the win these days. I used to hillclimb a couple of CR500s in the distant past, and they were awesome then, but the world has moved on, and a good CRF450 would probably be faster up the average hill than a standard 2 stroke 500 crosser.

The winning ones today seem very trick and highly tuned, with BST carbon rims, 16.5" tyres and some great riding helping to keep a 90s bike competitive on the tighter courses.

In the Northern Speed Championship (Auto 66) we do some faster venues (like Cadwell/Mallory/Elvington) which are not great for any SM, but they have their own class now so it's not so bad.

Hill climbing is a good home for the larger gentleman, and even with my planned winter diet and fitness hopes I expect to be over 16 stone by the start of next season. They also sell pies at the meetings :thumbsup:

I used to compete against a nice KX500 regularly in hill climbs, and rode it at one (a twisty sprint, doing standing start laps at Cadwell Park).

It was class winningly quick (in its owners hands) and posted similar times to my XR650 SM (mildly fettled) and Husaberg 650SM, but I found it a lot harder to ride (if faster on the straights) when I had a go.

The main reason I would not have wanted to swap my 4 Strokes for it were reliability based, but it was fairly highly tuned.

I'm not sure a standard one would be fast enough to compete for the win these days. I used to hillclimb a couple of CR500s in the distant past, and they were awesome then, but the world has moved on, and a good CRF450 would probably be faster up the average hill than a standard 2 stroke 500 crosser.

The winning ones today seem very trick and highly tuned, with BST carbon rims, 16.5" tyres and some great riding helping to keep a 90s bike competitive on the tighter courses.

In the Northern Speed Championship (Auto 66) we do some faster venues (like Cadwell/Mallory/Elvington) which are not great for any SM, but they have their own class now so it's not so bad.

Thanks for your input msjackson.

I'm aware that a 450 - 600 4-stroke is the way to go these days - saw them at Wiscombe last week - but I'm not expecting to be competitive enough to win - rather just to take part.

Archived