Brake Caliper Piston Removal?

bjohnson

Any smart ideas for removing the pistons from calipers without causing damage?

I dont have a compressor so no compressed air answers and the calipers are already off the bike and 'split' ready for cleaning and replacing seals.

Had a similar problem answered recently, pop down to your local builders merchant a get a big rawl bolt to fit inside the pistons, along with a spare nut to fit the thread.

Take the fixing off the bolt and spin the nut on, then replace the fixing so the thread does not protrude. Then stick the fixing in the piston and tighten the nut down.

As the fixing grips just twist the whole lot out of the caliper.

Simples

JT

After scratching my head, I used a pair of plastic bicycle tyre levers and a spacer!!

Different size pistons in my calipers so required two sizes of spacer to work properley. Lucky for me the pistons werent gummed up at all and came out pretty easy once I got the technique right - twist and pull!

The plastic tyre levers seem to grip quite well inside the pistons but it did take several 'pulls' to get each piston out. The plastic levers were great as they didnt mark the pistons.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Nice one but that would not work if they really needed stripping due to corrosion.

Your calipers look in very good condition already.

Nice one but that would not work if they really needed stripping due to corrosion.

Your calipers look in very good condition already.

Yes they are in good condition and didnt really ned stripping. I figured as they havent been done since the bike was new then it wouldnt hurt to strip them down and do a thorough job.

My back up plan was to take the calipers to the nearest garage and try the forecourt air hose!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...or hydraulically?

if you have a spare brake-master cylinder, and a spare (short) brake hose.....just fix it onto the caliper, fill and bleed- and push the pistons out.

***sorry, just have read, doesn´t work on already splitted calipers***

fred

Air lines and hydraulic hoses only work on the first piston, once that is gone you have no pressure.

When I stripped my properly manky and neglected six pots the only thing that would shift them was rawl bolts as I mentioned above.

Archived