Clutch Judder

dai1984

The last two rides i noticed that when im pulling off or decelerating in first that theres a wierd but very noticeable shuddering as I slip the clutch. Its similar to the spluttering you get just before you stall but the engine noise doesnt change. There are no other clutch problems when in higher gears and I find I can sometimes lessen the problem by giving more gas/altering clutch slip. Is there anything specific that causes this or is it a case of clutch cable play check, clutch plate inspection etc? Bike is my 5pw R1

Cheers in advance

Dai

tack it back to your dealer and get them to stick a new set of strings on it,slinkey's sound better and give it a good zing,that sould sort it out.......ohhh you are on about your bike!

sounds like a dry cluch..

I had almost the same thing on my 5jj R1, it sounded like the chain was jumping off the sprockets when I held the clutch in a certain position.

It turned out to be the diaphram in the clutch and its all ok since fitting a barnett spring plate.

thats it paul. I'll get the plates off midweek and have a quick look. The bike is my only transport at the moment so as long as I ride around the problem would it be ok for a short period? While im there I guess its worth upgrading to the barnett conversion?

I think its where the diaphram plate gets a bit tired and makes some nasty noises. I "think" you should be ok to use it until/if you get the barnett plate, I used mine for months before I got one. If you are careful you won't have to drain the oil out, just have the bike on the sidestande and you'll only get a few drips :lol:

The difference between the original and the barnett is amazing, well worth the money. You only need to use the plate , you can use the standard plates. I used the soft springs in mine , oh and the case is a right sod to get back on properly. Theres a sticky on here somewhere about changing these, takes about 30mins to change and about 2 hours to get it back together !

Spring clutch conversion ordered and awaiting delivery. I'm planning on dropping the oil anyway so i'll do it the same time.

Spring clutch conversion ordered and awaiting delivery. I'm planning on dropping the oil anyway so i'll do it the same time.

The Barnett coil spring conversion is very good, and a worthwhile mod.

It's an easy job, the only tricky bit is getting the clutch release arm lined up properly when putting the cover back on, which can be a bit of a bugger.

While you've got the clutch cover off, it's worth whipping out the clutch plates to check their conditon and make sure you check the 'anti-judder' ones which are closest to the inside - there's a different friction and steel plate held in place with a wire. Might be your problem is related to these.

I know you're changing the oil anyway, but for future reference you don't have to drop the oil when doing the clutch on the R1, as it's up above the sump.

Clutch fitted and the problem has gone. Checked the plates while I had it out and they were ok apart from the tabs on the first friction plate were scuffed, as was the outside of the clutch holder (clutch basket?). What would cause this and is it bad?

I refitted the cover first time but thought to myself "this is supposed to be a bastard so it cant be right if its on first time". Took it off and spent half hour regretting taking it off!

Archived