Issues with my sp1

scoot

Hey all I'm hoping someone could shed so light on a problem i'm having with my Sp1.I've recently had a problem with contaminated fuel fouling my plugs.So I've cleaned my tank and serviced my bike incl checking the valve clearances.

Last week while on the way to work it dropped onto one cylinder.The front had stopped firing.I might add that while riding the night before i got drenched in a storm.I limped back home and locked her up.

On removing the cap there was a tiny amount of water in the spark plug well.

After changing the fouled plug it still wouldn't fire,no spark.

So I suspected a faulty coil.

I swapped them around and she hesitated but then fired up on both cylinders...weird!

It blew a fair bit of white smoke out of the left end can which I assumed was un-burnt fuel in the pipes.It also has a exhaust leak which I've just noticed.

The bike idles fine now and revs as normal,but when I crank the throttle white smoke come out the left exhaust can.

Has anyone has a similar issue? Can any help me out?

Cheers

James

Water in the cylinders would account for the running on 1 as well. Check your oil for cappaccino stuff, and check your coolant for blobs.

If it had a blown head gasket, wouldn't the temp jump up quickly?

It came up to temp at a normal rate. It was only after it came to temp it produced the smoke.

If it had a blown head gasket, wouldn't the temp jump up quickly?

It came up to temp at a normal rate. It was only after it came to temp it produced the smoke.

not definitely, a small crack would cause the kettle effect,but usually on start up.

Did you fit new plugs? check spark strength?

silly question's but could this be caused by having water in the exhaust? is it using any water? do you have mayonase in the oil/water? you say it blows smoke on open throttle, when coolant pressure is at its greatest. i would be looking towards head gasket as the others have said.

Get a compession test to see if the head gasket's holding ... but it does sound like the gasket.

I might be some water in the can left from riding it on one in the wet but that should have all dried out once the bike has gone through a heat cycle

What would an ex-Hitler Youth, tosh-spouting giffer have to do with HRC's finest?

When all the papal dudes (yes, that's the correct term, not bishops or anything) make a decision about getting a new pope, the send white smoke out of a special chimney. I bet the pope shits it every time they put the fire on.

Clearly, this means the headgasket has gone on the cistine chapel....

When all the papal dudes (yes, that's the correct term, not bishops or anything) make a decision about getting a new pope, the send white smoke out of a special chimney. I bet the pope shits it every time they put the fire on.

Bahahaha

Thanks for all the advice boys, gonna check the bike over a bit more throughly

on the weekend. Been away with work this week.....friggin'

sucks arse when ya only mode of transport shits itself!!

The plot thickens!!!!....Finally got another chance to have a look at my bike.

Checked the coolant level and it was fine. Checked the coolant for bubbles (took the radiator cap off and cranked the bike with the F.I off.),no bubbles.Looked at the oil sight window to see if the oil had any water in it and it looked normal.

Started the bike and she fired up straight away,she puffed a little bit of smoke and then it cleared.I let her run 'till the thermo fan came on.....I'm just not too sure what to do next. I don't want to trash my engine by being to hasty and putting it all back together while I'm still unsure.Any advice would be great!!

"I know it's only a touch of flu your Paypal Highness but I took the precaution of sending one of the choirboys out for some firelighters"

As for the bike ... well take it for a gentle ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellas thanks for all your advice.I put my bike back together and have been riding it about for the last couple of weeks.

No more white smoke....thinking it must have just been when it dropped on to one cylinder it filled the exhaust system with a heap of unburnt fuel and it just needed to be burnt off.

Cheers once again

James

Fuel wouldn't burn white it'd go bang very loudly wouldn't it?

not necessarily, I have had a 2 stroke with the spanny full of petrol and it just spat it all out of the exhaust.

ARGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! Piece of shit Honda has dropped onto one cylinder again!!!!! Gonna have to tear it all down again...I'm suspecting a dud coil!

Archived