Brake pads

Patf

After having changed bike before needing new pads over the last decade I'm now in the position were I need to bed some new pads in on my GSXR 750 K6. Any suggestions on the best way ?

The best way to do this is to just go for some stop-start riding.

Go for a spin in urban/town environment where you will be using the brakes regularly but where they get chance to heat up and cool down again.

The thing not to do is loads of big stoppy type braking as this can easily lead to glazing of the pads which is not good.

So, go for a half an hour of town stuff, start stop operation will start to give you a bit of feel and as you feel them start to come in, go for bit of A road riding and again regular but relatively light braking should do it.

Recent experience says 50-60 miles of this kind of thing should easily do it.

A

Cheers guys. Took the bike for a spin this evening, using a mixture of what people have said. I tried to remember how I ran the bike in, (as this would have meant bedding new pads in as well). So a little gentle braking to start, then building up speed to 50/60 and progresive braking down to 15 or so. Let them cool down between cycles as well. Handy having a quiet industrial estate near by. All seems good so far.

Is it just me that puts pads in, cleans the discs a bit, then rides off normally and doesn't even bother thinking about it?

Archived