GSXR 1000 K5 front wheel out of round

originalracingsnake

Not by a huge amount but once the calipers were off the forks and the wheel was spun I could see it was definitely oscillating. I'll see what the tyre fitter says tomorrow, but if the bike needs a new wheel I'll be really upset. The roads round here in Glos have already done an alloy on my wifes 98 Polo, and a pair of front springs on the family '98 C Class estate.

I suppose fitting an after-market wheel is an option, but would I have to replace the pair? That is going to be the thick end of £1800-£2400 right?

had a slight kink in my GSXR front wheel, only noticed while being coated. they sorted it and wasn't too expensive (can't remember exact amount but think 60ish)

had a slight kink in my GSXR front wheel, only noticed while being coated. they sorted it and wasn't too expensive (can't remember exact amount but think 60ish)

Who did you trust to do the work? That is significantly cheaper than a replacement wheel! Damn modern bikes. My 1100L smashed itself across the landscape here with never a hint of bother.

Well, the Racetec is on, and the wheel did not require a single balance weight. The fitter said that it was really rare, and I mentioned that it could be because the wheel is out of true. He put it back on the balancer and said it was within Suzuki tolerances, and checked the balance again. It was spot on.

I'll put some miles on it this week and see how it feels.

Thanks for all the links, if I do have to get the wheel fixed I'll be back to refer to them.

I'll put some miles on it this week and see how it feels.

Thanks for all the links, if I do have to get the wheel fixed I'll be back to refer to them.

The vibes are there, nowhere near as bad as when I had the worn Michelins on, but at 120+ (on a track) and especially under braking, the vibes are pretty noticeable. Why would it be worse under braking?

Damn.

The vibes are there, nowhere near as bad as when I had the worn Michelins on, but at 120+ (on a track) and especially under braking, the vibes are pretty noticeable. Why would it be worse under braking?

Damn.

The fact that they're doing it under breaking suggests either warped brakes or the very centre of the wheel is the cause of your rim being buckled. If you could do some sort of measuring near the centre of the wheel then this'll probably be shown pretty clearly. Do you have access to something like a dial test indicator?

The fact that they're doing it under breaking suggests either warped brakes or the very centre of the wheel is the cause of your rim being buckled. If you could do some sort of measuring near the centre of the wheel then this'll probably be shown pretty clearly. Do you have access to something like a dial test indicator?

Made run out indicator from a screwdriver gaffa'd to a paddock stand. Discs are spot on for both warp and circularity (made up word). So it has to be the wheel.

Feck. I'll have to wait until the tyre is done, as all the places I checked out want the wheel shipped without a tyre on it. Makes it cheaper to post too.

[Lightbulb above head moment] Bent spindle. Just a guess. Roll it along a mirror and see. Then wonder how the fuck you're going to clean your Mrs mirror before she gets back upstairs.

Archived