YZF 750 usd forks help

uggiebear

Right haynes out check

youtube check

break my fork virginity check

f***ed it up check

Cant get the damper cartridge out, first one i will admit was still a bit tight (did slacken) as i was worried it would shoot out when i took the top off, second one was as slack as a yak and is doing the exact same thing. Spinning round and round

Have got the forks split and everything else split no worries just this one problem

The bit that i have really stuck to is keepig the parts seperarte, left hand fork is by number 3's shed and the right hand is in number 7 garden.

Please help thought this would have being easy...........

What do i do appart from admit defeat and take it to the garage on monday?

Is my lack of fork stripping terms confusing people? or is it that simple i am missing something.?

will look at the stripping guide but mine where quite different in design.

Just watched the video again and his drops out after a few magic turns of his allen key. I can tell you mine did not and the neighbours will agree.

Bit of searching need a tool...bugger

What are you struggling to remove, I am struggling to tell, is it the cap head sockets that goes up the bottom of the fork ,located were the front axle spindle lives????,

If so it may just be the internals spinning inside the tube. Put the springs back in and tighten up the top cap and see if it wil then loosen.

Why to you need to remove the damper, if you are just changing the seal this can be done with the damper rod see attached

Thanks thorlz

I slackened the damper rod securing allen bolt (bottom of fork) which release the damper rod....or just goes lose and spins. The first one was not done under full pressure second one was and they were both the same.

Anyway after a quick scratch of the head and a rummage round i am useing a 19mm spark plug removal tool with an interfearance fit in some tube, job is now a good one and i will be happy knowing it will be tight and locked in when buttoned up, like you said why did i bother, because it my first time and i was folowing haynes and youtube advice if you own a yzf750 dont bother you dont need to and if you do this is chaper than a £60 tool.

We live and learn :D

Thanks thorlz

I slackened the damper rod securing allen bolt (bottom of fork) which release the damper rod....or just goes lose and spins. The first one was not done under full pressure second one was and they were both the same.

Anyway after a quick scratch of the head and a rummage round i am useing a 19mm spark plug removal tool with an interfearance fit in some tube, job is now a good one and i will be happy knowing it will be tight and locked in when buttoned up, like you said why did i bother, because it my first time and i was folowing haynes and youtube advice if you own a yzf750 dont bother you dont need to and if you do this is chaper than a £60 tool.

We live and learn :tacheemoticonwh7:

Glad it is all sorted, I may be wrong be I have found out that to change the seals on RWU forks I needed to remove the damper and for USD forks I don't. (found out about RWU forks the hard way myself)

All is welll that ends well

Bit miffed really its the second time this week haynes has let me down once with the car now with the bike, i know its a guide but they normally are quite good and it did say complete dis assembly and inspection, which with the ammount of crap in there is not a bad thing but if to save all this i would be happy flushing with cleaner and the oil.

Anyway i have learnt my lesson and have a small feeling of self esteem.

Just hope the girl gets through the mot this week as i need a ride out.

Archived