GSXR 1000 K5 set up advice??

bjohnson

Can anyone offer some set up advice for my K5 1000.

Specifically; the bike doesnt seem to tip in as quickly as I would like and as quickly as some of my previous bikes have done, so I've been tweaking the settings to try and reach my ideal set up.

I've got an Ohline rear shock and standard front forks. I've lowered the forks through the yokes and adjusted the rear ride height slightly. Reckon I have about 5mm of fork top showing above the yoke at present (as standard the fork tops are flush with the top face of the top yoke).

Handling has improved but there is still room for more improvement. I'm gauging advice as I dont want to end up dropping the forks too far and screwing everything up - plus I havent got a front stand to go under the headstock so raising the forks again will be a real pain!!

Anyone else done similar tweaks??

On a separate note, anyone know why the bike feels really heavy when wheeling it round, particularly at the front? If I wheel around other 1000cc bikes they dont feel anywhere near as heavy or stiff to move around?

Cheers

Silly question but have you checked your tyres , not just pressures but shape ? its also possible your brakes may be binding a bit . get the basics right before you try any other mods

Can anyone offer some set up advice for my K5 1000.

On a separate note, anyone know why the bike feels really heavy when wheeling it round, particularly at the front? If I wheel around other 1000cc bikes they dont feel anywhere near as heavy or stiff to move around?

Cheers

Head bearings. Check them VERY carefully, if they are too tight, or worn the bike will feel heavy to steer. Mine did until I changed the bearings and the bike felt completely different.

Also, some tyres are very sensitive to the wrong pressures, what brand do you use, and at what pressure? My K5 steers pretty good, but is on the stable side of fast.

Tyres front and rear are Pirelli Corsa III's and both have been replaced this year.

I run both at 32psi for trackdays and at 36psi front, 42psi rear on the road - the manufacturers recommended settings.

Had service earlier this year and MOT a couple of weeks ago and head bearings were all ok. That said, I've had the bike from new so they are 5 years old. Could be worth checking and replacing though to improve the heavy feel.

On a separate note, anyone know why the bike feels really heavy when wheeling it round, particularly at the front?

Cheers

Because you ve dropped the forks through the yokes putting extra weight on the front?

Because you ve dropped the forks through the yokes putting extra weight on the front?

Good point, but the 'heavy' feel was there before I started tinkering.

Brakes/discs arent dragging either and wheel spins quite freely on the stands.

I'm thinking head bearings could be the favourite cause at the moment.

Also, try removing the nut and bolt holding the steering damper on and see it feels then. Could be a crock damper slowing it all up. If it is any consolation, mine feels like I am pushing it through treacle/sand but then I am a scrawny 10st....

Archived